Author Topic: 67 Competition suspension  (Read 4264 times)

Offline Raven

67 Competition suspension
« on: April 30, 2012, 07:10:23 AM »
Hi All

In the Mustang monthly article Special K's http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredv ... index.html it mentions
According to Kevin Marti's Ford production database, only 195 Mustangs (non-Shelby) were sold with the Competition Suspension in '67--141 fastbacks, 33 hardtops, and 21 convertibles.. I recently purchased "The 289 High Performance Mustang fourth edition". It mentions that "all 67 K-codes were GTs and were equipped with the competition handling package". I was always under the impression that the competition suspension was an an option as my Marti notes no mention about it. A bit confused can someone shed some more light on this please.

Regards
Dino
67 A code GTA Convertible San Jose build
67 K code GT Fastback Dearborn build

Offline ruppstang

Re: 67 Competition suspension
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 09:25:28 AM »
67 Gt Mustangs had a heaver suspension but was not Competition suspension that was a separate option. If it had Competition suspension it would have special wheel covers and 15 inch wheels. Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »
67 Gt Mustangs had a heaver suspension but was not Competition suspension that was a separate option. If it had Competition suspension it would have special wheel covers and 15 inch wheels. Marty
And adjustable shocks just like the Shelby's  ;) . I can't remember if the 15" high speed tires were part of the package or a separate option.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 07:16:31 PM »
And adjustable shocks just like the Shelby's  ;) . I can't remember if the 15" high speed tires were part of the package or a separate option.

Tires were part of the package ;) Window stickers show "NC" for no charge

Believe I owned an S code with the option back in the 80's

As for the comment in the book, mentioned maybe the book needed a little rewording or editing. Sure Kevin could clear up the "all 67 K codes received the comp suspension" comment
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline qman

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »
Competition suspension gave you, among other things 6.70 x15-4 ply 170 mph. I think they were called Speedway 200 tires. The option was available with the S code or the K code engine. You would have thought that a limited slip rearend would be part of the package, but that was a separate option. A good friend of Marty's is very knowledgable about this unusual package. Qman

Offline roddster

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 03:28:28 PM »
Is it possible that, if one checked off the Competition Suspension package a couple of other options became mandatory?

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:08:06 PM »
Here is the description from the 67 Ford options catalog.
Marty

Offline roddster

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 12:57:02 AM »
Great reading.  It becomes a "what was first" answer.  If you wanted the CHP you also had better had ordered the car with the GT equipmet group AND either the 289 Hi-Po or the 390.

Photo note: Typical fit where the convienence panel meets the drivers side of the dash, no?

Offline Raven

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 09:54:30 AM »
Thanks for the information I appreciate it. I will try to contact the author about editing.

Thanks again.
67 A code GTA Convertible San Jose build
67 K code GT Fastback Dearborn build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 07:17:30 PM »
Thanks for the information I appreciate it. I will try to contact the author about editing.

If your referring to Mustang Monthly the editor is a member here (as well as many contributors) and might be following the thread ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 09:43:04 PM »
Competition suspension gave you, among other things 6.70 x15-4 ply 170 mph. I think they were called Speedway 200 tires. The option was available with the S code or the K code engine. You would have thought that a limited slip rearend would be part of the package, but that was a separate option. A good friend of Marty's is very knowledgable about this unusual package. Qman

I believe the Firestones were E 70X15 Sports car 200's & the Goodyears were Wide Tread GT's E70 15. I have seen both brands in origial cars. The 6.70's would probably be very early 67? All very rare tires today.