Author Topic: Alternators....One more time...... Blue fans and some Pulleys  (Read 3566 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
-Guys, Please read the attached from the VMF and Hipo boards about alternators........I personally feel that a '65 with blue fan and pulley is incorrect.....http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=675.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 01:48:18 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
Re: Alternators....One more time......
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 10:06:30 PM »
Sorry, I have to disagree with you on the blue fan and pulley. I have documented over a dozen unrestored original Dearborn built cars with blue fans and pulleys. All built between the end of May 65 thru August 65. No Dearborn hypo though. I have also found at least 3 Shelby's with blue fans and pulleys. They are the only non Dearborn cars I have seen with them and of course they are hypos.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 10:13:21 PM »
Here are two blue pulleys on the assembly line. ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:22:47 PM by Skyway65 »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 10:39:19 PM »
So, We're feeling that DEARBORN HIPOS were different from NON-Hipos from the same time frame? never knew that....

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 11:07:56 PM »
No Dearborn hypo cars have been documented with a blue fan and pulley.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 10:09:29 PM »
OK, Thanks! I guess I was figuring that ALL cars from one plant would be the same for the alternator.....

Any ideas guys as to why the accepted expert Jack at Dead Nuts On applied 2 stampings of the larger Autolite logo to my K code's alternator?

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 10:55:06 AM »
OK, Thanks! I guess I was figuring that ALL cars from one plant would be the same for the alternator.....

Any ideas guys as to why the accepted expert Jack at Dead Nuts On applied 2 stampings of the larger Autolite logo to my K code's alternator?

YES!  I'll tell you EXACTLY why he does it!  The assembly line correct location points downward.  A lot of guys want this stamp to be seen when you open the hood, even though that is incorrect.
HE STAMPS BOTH PLACES TO MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY!  The one you prefer to NOT be there is easily removed with a damp lacquer thinner rag. ;)
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »
YES!  I'll tell you EXACTLY why he does it!  The assembly line correct location points downward.  A lot of guys want this stamp to be seen when you open the hood, even though that is incorrect.
HE STAMPS BOTH PLACES TO MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY!  The one you prefer to NOT be there is easily removed with a damp lacquer thinner rag. ;)
+1 on your theory. As for the location the lower location is the most common location more times then not however the upper location has been observed as well on unmolested examples. Jack was smart in his strategy IMHO  ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »
Thanks for the education Bob.  I would have given my left arm to have this kind of DETAILED information in the mid 80's when I restored my Rangoon Red convertible.
It had an alternator, a blower motor with center-off, the old clip-on door/window knobs, and an Eaton pump.
Nothing on it made sense at the time, but I knew it wasn't butchered up.  The components just seemed to be a mish-mash.
It was 5F08C397821.  It's theft in 1994 was never resolved and it is still missing.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 07:06:12 PM »
Also, note the alternator going into the car, in the assembly line photo, is on a 6 cyl (red valve cover)and is installed upside down in relation to a how V8 alternator is installed.  Does that effect where the stamp goes?  Just to add another twist to the theory. ::)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 10:00:15 PM »
No . The 6 cylinder is the only motor that you could see the stamp from the top.

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 07:27:27 PM »
Hello,
mine 5T09A160xxx do have blue pulley and fan but not sure if Metuchen Mustangs have them or if my alternator was replaced meanwhile. As most of you does not like blue on a black engine compartment and gold valve covers but...were them blue at Metuchen on middle 1965?
Thanks
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Alternators....One more time...... Blue fans and some Pulleys
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 01:45:57 AM »
Hello,
mine 5T09A160xxx do have blue pulley and fan but not sure if Metuchen Mustangs have them or if my alternator was replaced meanwhile. As most of you does not like blue on a black engine compartment and gold valve covers but...were them blue at Metuchen on middle 1965?
Thanks

Would not expect a blue fan to have made it through a rebuild process (company verses the guy on the corner) without being stripped and repainted or plated

Yours would be the first reported blue fan alternator making its way to NJ during 65 production but of course less were built there or survived. Do have one reported on a 66 NJ example

Will add your to the list I'm keeping - along with plenty of other things  ::)

Have just short of 30 examples recorded so far at all three plants 65-66
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 01:48:37 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)