Author Topic: 67 S-code alternator mounting question  (Read 3727 times)

Offline 69bossnine

67 S-code alternator mounting question
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:31:40 AM »
Hopefully someone can enlighten me on this... On our Metuchen-built '67 GTA, the adjuster-bracket mounts underneath the alternator, and there's a hole in the upper bracket that ostensibly would serve in mounting a smog pump above the alternator. But this car was never equipped with smog, sold new in Alabama. But everything matches the Ford illustrations for a smog-equipped car. We first restored this car when I was a kid in 1979 for Bill Gowin (some older guys may remember him and the car, silver-frost GTA coupe loaded-up with options that ran through all the MCA levels in the '80's). He rebuilt the original engine and provided it with the accessories for the restoration way back when, and we've not changed anything, just rebuilt and re-detailed the motor.

Our two other S-code '67's are un-restored, and they have a different mounting setup, with the adjuster bracket on top of the alternator.

Is the Gowin car wrong, and somehow got put together with smog-app parts? Or did non-smog cars get built both ways as another example of Ford random-ness and assembly-line-parts availability?

I'd ask Scott, but he's on vacation.. :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:33:13 AM by 69bossnine »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 S-code alternator mounting question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 12:55:41 AM »
Hopefully someone can enlighten me on this... On our Metuchen-built '67 GTA, the adjuster-bracket mounts underneath the alternator, and there's a hole in the upper bracket that ostensibly would serve in mounting a smog pump above the alternator. But this car was never equipped with smog, sold new in Alabama. But everything matches the Ford illustrations for a smog-equipped car. We first restored this car when I was a kid in 1979 for Bill Gowin (some older guys may remember him and the car, silver-frost GTA coupe loaded-up with options that ran through all the MCA levels in the '80's). He rebuilt the original engine and provided it with the accessories for the restoration way back when, and we've not changed anything, just rebuilt and re-detailed the motor.

Our two other S-code '67's are un-restored, and they have a different mounting setup, with the adjuster bracket on top of the alternator.

Is the Gowin car wrong, and somehow got put together with smog-app parts? Or did non-smog cars get built both ways as another example of Ford random-ness and assembly-line-parts availability?

I'd ask Scott, but he's on vacation.. :)
f
First I would look at the upper bracket and check which engineering number is stamped on it. If it is a a C8 then it was replaced.You would typically only have the Smog pump alt bracket on a themactor car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 09:19:45 AM »
My dad has a 68 S code that was built in San Jose and delivered to the Denver DSO that has the same alternator bracket. He has owned the car for 15 years so someone could have changed it, it has made me wonder too. Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 08:43:16 PM »
My dad has a 68 S code that was built in San Jose and delivered to the Denver DSO that has the same alternator bracket. He has owned the car for 15 years so someone could have changed it, it has made me wonder too. Marty

67 or 68 ?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:07:31 PM »
That speed reading will get you every time my friend!  68 S code!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:06:28 PM »
That speed reading will get you every time my friend!  68 S code!
Yep I know all so well ;)   Lets see - you read S-code - alt- mount   

See you in a little over a week
Jeff Speegle

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 01:36:43 AM »
So which is it? 1967 Thermactor or 1968 Thermactor bracket? They are different and they both mount the alternator down low.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 02:14:06 AM »
So which is it? 1967 Thermactor or 1968 Thermactor bracket? They are different and they both mount the alternator down low.

Hopefully he's checking and will get back to us so we can try and help
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:10:15 AM »
Sorry Jeff my bad I did not know that there was a 67 and a 68  version I get a look at dad's today.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 10:52:58 PM »
Here is a picture of whats dad's 68 S code has on it. C6? can that be correct? Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 10:57:30 PM »
Here is a picture of whats dad's 68 S code has on it. C6? can that be correct? Marty
Marty that would be a stretch  ;) The C8 version would be much more likely (on a thermactor car). I think you have the evidence to support the change out IMHO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 10:34:10 PM »

Definitely the 1966-67 style brackets (C6AE), in my experience with the two holes is the 1966 version.

For those that don't know, cars and light duty pickups, delivered in California 1966-67 often had thermactor smog systems.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A