Author Topic: 64.5 Fuel Pump  (Read 4091 times)

Offline john_simms

64.5 Fuel Pump
« on: April 04, 2012, 01:59:38 PM »
I have a fuel pump question regarding a 64.5 Coupe, D-Code V8, 4V carb, manual trans and Dearborn built mid April 1964.  Bob Mannel's book shows a two-piece, rebuildable fuel pump which was a carry-over from 1963 according the the caption.  My car has that type of pump and it is an AC brand pump so I'm assuming it is has been replaced sometime in it's life and not the original.

Were the original pumps manufactured by Carter?

I purchased a rebuild kit several months back, but I don't know if the kit only fits the OEM pump or if it will service the AC pump as well.

My local NAPA auto store can get me a remanufactured, rebuildable pump that is a Bosch brand.

Any guidance from those here as to whether I should rebuild my AC pump or buy the Bosch pump or look for an original Carter?

Thanks.

John

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: 64.5 Fuel Pump
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 03:04:57 PM »
John-
    I picked up a restored, original pump from Fred Ballard, I believe he's on the forum as "flyingfred". Believe you'll want a Carter "Button Top" pump, they're date coded as well.

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 07:21:51 PM »
I have a fuel pump question regarding a 64.5 Coupe, D-Code V8, 4V carb, manual trans and Dearborn built mid April 1964.  Bob Mannel's book shows a two-piece, rebuildable fuel pump which was a carry-over from 1963 according the the caption.  My car has that type of pump and it is an AC brand pump so I'm assuming it is has been replaced sometime in it's life and not the original.

I purchased a rebuild kit several months back, but I don't know if the kit only fits the OEM pump or if it will service the AC pump as well.

My local NAPA auto store can get me a remanufactured, rebuildable pump that is a Bosch brand.

Any guidance from those here as to whether I should rebuild my AC pump or buy the Bosch pump or look for an original Carter?

Thanks.

John
The rebuild able two piece style pump is characteristic of the 64 1/2 early 65 builds on 289's. Your build date definitely falls into that early category  :D . The pump is built by Carter just like the later button top. The button top style is the later variety as Bob Mannels book will confirm.  I can't say if the rebuild kit you have is applicable to the early style pump or not or if it is AC brand specific or not.  If you just want one for a driver car go with the auto parts store variety . If you want the correct one that is show quality it will be much more expensive. I have a rebuilt CAR bura TER marked 64.5 pump if you need one .The good thing is I will sell it for  about 1/2 the price of a restored button top. typically you first you have to come up with the correct core and then I think Fred Ballard gets 250.00 plus shipping just to restore one of the button tops (which is a blessing compared to the alternative).  I have a restored and rebuilt CAR bura TER marked 64.5 pump if you need one that I would sell for 250.00 complete plus shipping . No outside US shipping however. PM me if interested.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:46:17 PM »

Thanks.

John

John,
Here's is a picture of the correct 3734S Carter fuel pump for your car.  This one is dated April 64, the bowl is my last NOS one and it is going in a 64 Pace car built April 13

The truth is, it is almost impossible to tell the stamping on it when it is on the car. The keys to look for when looking for a fuel pump are the X (didn't mean hi performance), and the early CARbureTER style logo, different from later versions.  The tops were the same on many applications - Tim O'Connor can probably mix and match parts for you to make one if you find the components.  I would worry about the 3734S and date last - can't barely see it off the car and almost impossible to see on. - Dave

Offline 5F09CNot4Sale

• If it does not fit, you need a bigger hammer!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:57:04 PM »
And now they also make a white and red printing fuel bowl. VA mustang has them.
5F09C3031XX Sept 28 64 Dearborn
5F07F1838XX June 29 64 Dearborn

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 12:47:20 PM »
Just wanted to clarify the build date of the button top pump I posted above. Its date stamped 08-05-64 which is actually 5 weeks AFTER my car's scheduled build date but its the best I could come up with at the time. It's possible the button top may be incorrect for my build date but it cost too much and looks too pretty for me to change if it is. :)

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline john_simms

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 09:03:11 PM »
Thanks all for the replies and pictures.  My local auto parts store was able to locate a Bosch aftermarket pump that I will put away for now until my A/C pump bites the dust.  While not  Concours correct, it will serve quite nicely for my purposes and for $45, I didn't figure I could go too wrong.

I do have a rebuild kit that has never been opened that I assume will fit the Carter pump if anyone is interested.  I don't know if it will or will not fit either my A/C or new Bosch pump so I will probably never use it.

Thanks again.

John

Offline john_simms

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 09:07:52 PM »
John,
Here's is a picture of the correct 3734S Carter fuel pump for your car.  This one is dated April 64, the bowl is my last NOS one and it is going in a 64 Pace car built April 13

The truth is, it is almost impossible to tell the stamping on it when it is on the car. The keys to look for when looking for a fuel pump are the X (didn't mean hi performance), and the early CARbureTER style logo, different from later versions.  The tops were the same on many applications - Tim O'Connor can probably mix and match parts for you to make one if you find the components.  I would worry about the 3734S and date last - can't barely see it off the car and almost impossible to see on. - Dave

Dave,
That is indeed a one of the prettiest fuel pumps I've ever seen.   LOL  I told my wife that's what I want for Christmas.  She just rolled her eyes. ::)