Author Topic: Coolant Leak  (Read 4143 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Coolant Leak
« on: February 20, 2012, 08:07:27 PM »
So I have a slight coolant leak and trying to determine where it is coming from. All the hose clamps are tight and that was the only thing changed the past 2 months.  Motor was rebuilt in 2003/2004.  The pictures below show where the pool is developing.  It also develops right where the dipstick tube goes into the block.  I've gotten two opinion and both say timing chain cover....So I thought I would reach out and just double check before I start tearing things a part.  Also if and when I do tear things a part, do I need to be concerned about disconnecting the lines from the AC compressor?  I don't believe the system is charged.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
Re: Coolant Leak
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 08:11:23 PM »
2 possable causes- front cover gasket or intake gasket.I would sugest doing a presure test to determine which one is the culpret.You dont need to remove the compressor to do eather repair.
  Mike
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 08:17:03 PM »
I also have the power steering pump in the way as well...
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Online jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:34:10 PM »
It looks like you have a 65 with power steering. I had a similar "leak" in my 65 with p/s and found that the upper most bolt that is used for the pump bracket had stripped the threads in the timing cover. My temporary fix (it's a round to-it, I have a spare timing cover) was to drill out the stripped threads in the timing cover and use a longer bolt with a nylock nut. I may try a thread-saver fix later.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 01:20:20 PM »
So I've decided to just go ahead a pull the water pump and timing chaing cover off and just reseal everything back up after our car show season in April/May.  Since I have the water pump out I might as well have it rebuilt.  Has anyone used the Water Pump Man out of Michigan and if so how is the work? Or is there someone else out there that can rebuild the pump?  I believe it to be original to the car as I can see the engineering and Fomoco stamp on the part. 
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline dave6768

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:16:24 PM »
I have a very small leak that shows up in the same place.  I know mine is coming from the intake because I can see the discolored trail from the intake.  Do you have a telltale trail from the intake?
Dave

Offline e093116

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
I have one of those black light/viewing glasses kits designed for being able to "see" AC leaks (when dye is in the AC system).  These kits should be at any local auto parts store near you.

I've had good luck using this kit to find leaks other than just in the AC system, as I have been able to track down oil and coolant leaks as well.  For a minimal investment, this might be a helpful tool to help you diagnose the problem and others down the road.

If the leak is minor, you may want to consider using some radiator stop leak.  I've had better luck with the powder form of the stop leak products vs. the liquid form. 

Have you checked the torque and integrity of all the fasteners/tapped holes associated with the water pump/timing cover/intake?  Maybe it it something as simple as a loose bolt.
65 San Jose Fastback, May 15 build date

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »
Appreciate the feedback.  I'll check the bolts later on this week.  I don't see anything coming down from the intake.  It looks like it comes up through that gasket between the timing chain cover and the block.  If you look closely at the picture you can see some discoloration of the gasket and it does feel wet.  Coolant also develops right by the bottom of the dipstick tube and then drips down the side of the oil pan, which is how it caught my attention.  Any word on that Water Pump man out of MI?
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 11:05:45 AM »
So I've decided to just go ahead a pull the water pump and timing chaing cover off and just reseal everything back up after our car show season in April/May.  Since I have the water pump out I might as well have it rebuilt.  Has anyone used the Water Pump Man out of Michigan and if so how is the work? Or is there someone else out there that can rebuild the pump?  I believe it to be original to the car as I can see the engineering and Fomoco stamp on the part.

I purchased a cast iron date correct rebuilt big block pump from him last year.
Does what it should, no noises or leaks.
I can't remember freight to Aust, so it must of been reasonable.

Don't know what his turn around is like on sending him your pump as mine came off his shelf.

Not that I can highly recommend him with only one purchase, but he delivered what he promised :)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:27:13 AM by GD64 »
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »
I took my original pump to NAPA (after marking it) and had them send it to there rebuilder.Took a couple of weeks and cost around $45 including shipping.I did get the original back.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 12:21:22 AM »
So I checked all the bolts and everything is tight.  I pressurized the system around 14 lbs and can see coolant bubbling up right at that gasket between  the timing cover.  It isn't coming down from the intake at all and there appears to be no coolant in the oil either.  So I assume it probably is that gasket.   :'(  Oh well....
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline tomtri66

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 12:44:59 PM »
I also have a coolant leak in that area from the intake.  The intake coolant port can be tricky to seal.  Need to use a bead of silicone sealant in this area when installing the intake.
MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »
Could be the thermostat housing too or even a small problem with the by-pass hose.  I usually like to let sealant set for a couple days before adding water back.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »
Or is there someone else out there that can rebuild the pump?

I've had very good service from Automotive Friction. They near Portland, OR.

http://www.autofriction.com/

Dave