Author Topic: Reproduction Wide Grille Molding: What Kind of Mounting Screws in Back?  (Read 4396 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Hi,

I'm trying to install a reproduction grille molding kit on my '69 Mach 1.  The kit included all of the hardware for all of the various trim pieces surrounding the grille, but I'm having problems mounting the wide grille molding (see the link below).  I know this piece uses six spring clips and nuts for the front six mounting bolts, as another stainless trim piece bolts through it.

However, there were only those six clips in the hardware bag, which leaves nothing for the back six holes.  I called the vendor I bought the piece from, and had trouble convincing the sales representative that there was even any hardware missing.  After looking at the '69 Osborne body assembly manual, however, it does show six additional screws that are needed to mount the grille molding. 

Does anyone have any pictures of an original car, or maybe even a recommendation of where to buy these screws?  If it's just six stainless screws, I'm sure I could round something up, I just need to know what the head looks like.

Thanks!

Link to the molding: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dii-Grille-Molding-Center-Lower-/280805687469?fits=Year:1969|Model:Mustang&hash=item416152c0ad&item=280805687469&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Reproduction Wide Grille Molding: What Kind of Mounting Screws in Back?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 08:31:52 PM »
I'm assuming that the 69 and 70 attach the same and the molding is not in the 1969 body assembly manual, the 1970 manual shows 2 ea 55998-S45X 8-18X3/4 pan head Phillips drive stainless screws going up thru the headlight bucket, thru a spacer, to a nutclip in the molding on the ends. The four in the center are 381671-S45X 8-18X3/8 round/washer head Phillips drive stainless screws going down to the deflector without a nut clip.
Just for reference, the 1969 manual is missing 3 pages, N9-105-1, N9-105-3 and N9-105-5, and you can use the 1970 body manual pages N0-105-1 almost without change, and N0-105-3 and N0-105-5 are similar (4 vs 2 headlights).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:21:07 PM »
It sounds like a '70 model is similar.  I know the '69 should take four screws in the center, and I wonder if it doesn't take the two nut clips on the ends like the '70 piece you described. 

Also, I've got a fairly new reproduction of the '69 Body manual, and it shows a decent diagram on page 11 (you know how some of the pages can be almost illegible).  The manual lists the center screws as "381671-S45, 4 reqd." For the two outer holes, it lists "381634-S40, I reqd.--each side."

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 09:41:25 PM »
I'm trying to install a reproduction grille molding kit on my '69 Mach 1.  The kit included all of the hardware for all of the various trim pieces surrounding the grille, but I'm having problems mounting the wide grille molding (see the link below).  I know this piece uses six spring clips and nuts for the front six mounting bolts, as another stainless trim piece bolts through it.

However, there were only those six clips in the hardware bag, which leaves nothing for the back six holes.  I called the vendor I bought the piece from, and had trouble convincing the sales representative that there was even any hardware missing.  After looking at the '69 Osborne body assembly manual, however, it does show six additional screws that are needed to mount the grille molding. 

Does anyone have any pictures of an original car, or maybe even a recommendation of where to buy these screws?  If it's just six stainless screws, I'm sure I could round something up, I just need to know what the head looks like.

Like usual - I've got to ask when and where your car was built as it appears that there may be a difference (not unusual ;) in the hardware used.

Have pictures - just need to know which ones to post ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:26:11 PM »
Jeff, it was built June 5th, 1969, in Metuchen.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 01:27:32 AM »

Thanks will look to see if I have a clear picture o one of those. So far Dearborn and San Jose used different hardware
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69RavenConv

• Owner since '74
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »
If it's not too much trouble, a picture of a Dearborn car would be helpful for me. I'm at the same point in the re-assembly of my June 1969 Dearborn convertible. Thanks.
Phil
'69 Convertible - Dearborn June 4, 1969 - Raven Black & Red - 302-2V

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:23:56 AM »

Got to tell you that not many people take pictures of this area so I'm sorry that the quality of the pictures is poor at best

I think the screws appear to be the same as usually found in the NOS kits we see, zinc plated flat intergrated washer Phillips screws with the domed head. Different from the ones we see on the Dearborn ones in the other post below. Posted from early to late examples

Hope this helps

Though unrestored one of these could have had the trim piece replaced but doubt we would get lucky enough to find only cars that had been ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 02:26:19 AM »
If it's not too much trouble, a picture of a Dearborn car would be helpful for me. I'm at the same point in the re-assembly of my June 1969 Dearborn convertible. Thanks.

Ok here are a couple examples of what I found on 69 Dearborn cars. Both unrestored cars one early (9F15xxxx - first pic) and one late (9F216xxx). Appears to be a standard Phillips finished in phosphate and oil to my eyes

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 08:58:05 PM »
Ok, we got pictures, but does that indicate the size, threads per inch and length of the screws? It may verify head types and that may be key as to what the screws are.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 09:05:15 PM »
Ok, we got pictures, but does that indicate the size, threads per inch and length of the screws? It may verify head types and that may be key as to what the screws are.

Both styles are about the same length and screw into those small slip on clips that are so common in trim applications. Not sure if I ever look at pitch or thread per inch.   Just know them with I see them ;)

They are about 1/4" long and likely (looking at the Utility Catalog) 8-18s

reread the original post and none of these items (trim nor retaining hardware) was stainless.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:12:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69RavenConv

• Owner since '74
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 12:08:56 AM »
Hope this helps

Thanks, Jeff, I appreciate your help.
Phil
'69 Convertible - Dearborn June 4, 1969 - Raven Black & Red - 302-2V

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 10:14:55 PM »
Thanks, Jeff, I appreciate your help.

I agree, thank you!

Offline Stangman68

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 10:49:04 PM »
one more question on this topic that didn't seem to get addressed, what about the end holes, one on each end where that molding overlaps the headlight bucket molding, is this where the grill gets attached with the black plastic push-pins??? or is a screw/clip in those holes as well???

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 02:25:00 AM »
one more question on this topic that didn't seem to get addressed, what about the end holes, one on each end where that molding overlaps the headlight bucket molding, is this where the grill gets attached with the black plastic push-pins??? or is a screw/clip in those holes as well???

Center of the grill is attached with a intergrated washer bolt and the ends with a black plastic push pin with a solid center locking rod

Jeff Speegle