Author Topic: Finish of bolts & bracket attaching anti-backfire valve -67-289  (Read 1991 times)

Offline RocketScientist

Finish of bolts & bracket attaching anti-backfire valve -67-289
« on: January 16, 2012, 10:25:27 AM »
I recently acquired the smog system of an early 67 c-code car and found that the bolts that attach the anti-backfire valve to the engine are blue. The bracket that holds the valve is also blue and by the quality of the paint finish it seems likely that it was painted before installation. For the bolts to be blue does that mean that they were installed onto the engine prior to its being painted and then later removed when the valve was attached?
Regards,
Brad.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:37:35 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Finish of bolts & bracket attaching anti-backfire valve -67-289
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:43:31 PM »
The valve bracket would have originally been semi-gloss black and the two smaller bolts (with the cross hatch head design) would be natural or zinc IMHO

Have a fair number of the brackets around the shop

You can make out the original color (second one has rattle can blue over the base ) of the bracket as well as the head design on the bolts

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:36:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:33:34 AM »
Interesting.......
Due to the blue finish on my bracket (and not a hint of black when stripped) I could have easily painted it incorrectly. It just goes to show how errors can creep in and then be propogated. Jeff, thank you for sharing your knowledge and wisdom.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:38:07 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:17:58 PM »
+1 on black - I've got a couple that way and seen a few more originals.  Not that Jeff needs any help, mind you  :D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:38:40 PM by J_Speegle »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 05:13:18 PM »
... two smaller bolts (with the cross hatch head design) would be natural or zinc IMHO

Have a fair number of the brackets around the shop

You can make out the original color (second one has rattle can blue over the base ) of the bracket as well as the head design on the bolts

Great picture that also looks to de-bunk the Assembly Manual (again) on the design of the bolt heads.
Best AMK match I see to the bolt's head design for the 'bracket to manifold' bolts is AMK B-11499.
For the 'valve to bracket' bolts, I can match the head with AMK# B-12682 but if they indeed (and I think the answer is 'yes, indeed') need to be zinc. those bolts are natural so I believe they would need to be re-finished from "S" (bare steel) to "S8" (zinc).

Does this seem correct? If I missed something, I know others are interested in these details (John, yes you) so did anyone come up with other results?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 09:10:19 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 05:22:57 PM »
+1 on black - I've got a couple that way and seen a few more originals.  Not that Jeff needs any help, mind you  :D

John, your results on the bolts? Do they match Jeff's pics?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 06:33:06 PM »

Just for the record the bolts with the "starburst" pattern on the heads is something I've seen hundreds of time for this application on 67 and 66's for this purpose.  If I recall correctly they also have letters on the raised sections may be RBW (marking and supplier) but don't have one in my hand at the moment

They look to be a dull silver so zinc or cad would be what they look like
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 06:35:24 PM »
The bracket that holds the valve is also blue and by the quality of the paint finish it seems likely that it was painted before installation.
Due to the blue finish on my bracket (and not a hint of black when stripped) I could have easily painted it incorrectly.
The ones I have removed from cars were painted blue, most likely at the engine plant as the engine was prepared for a smog application (heads etc).
Great picture that also looks to de-bunk the Assembly Manual (again) on the design of the bolt heads.
Have you ever done any drafting (not the driving type, the pencil pushing type)? Those are place bolts and any competent draftsman would not waste time with that level of detail. Besides, the Ford part numbers are in the bill of materials which is what is the deciding factor.
The bolts from bracket to valve are 45924-S8, 1/4-20X1.0 Hex, Place, GR5; the bracket to manifold are 42952-S8, 5/16-18X1/2, Hex, Place, GR5. Both are zinc plated, both are painted (color TBD), neither are available from AMK as documented. You can cut 45964-S8 (AMK B-11499) to the proper length for 42952-S8.
These bolt are documented in the library under Mustang Hardware Spreadsheets 67-68.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 06:57:48 PM »
The ones I have removed from cars were painted blue, most likely at the engine plant as the engine was prepared for a smog application (heads etc).

Was this observation from a 67?

Guess your describing the lower bolts not the uppers?

Unfortunately don't have a copy of the 67 289 engine paint instruction to see if that stated that they were installed or not  ???  But going back to see how many other examples I can find of the finishes or look
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 07:08:09 PM »
Was this observation from a 67?
May 67 San Jose "A" code Fastback.
Most of the 66 smog setups around here were not in that good of condition to see paint. But when the bracket came off a couple of manifolds, you could see bare metal. One bracket was the two piece type.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 09:09:37 AM »
The ones I have removed from cars were painted blue, most likely at the engine plant as the engine was prepared for a smog application (heads etc).Have you ever done any drafting (not the driving type, the pencil pushing type)? Those are place bolts and any competent draftsman would not waste time with that level of detail. Besides, the Ford part numbers are in the bill of materials which is what is the deciding factor.The bolts from bracket to valve are 45924-S8, 1/4-20X1.0 Hex, Place, GR5; the bracket to manifold are 42952-S8, 5/16-18X1/2, Hex, Place, GR5. Both are zinc plated, both are painted (color TBD), neither are available from AMK as documented. You can cut 45964-S8 (AMK B-11499) to the proper length for 42952-S8.
These bolt are documented in the library under Mustang Hardware Spreadsheets 67-68.
Jim

Whoops! I should never try and multi-task and quote "Jim Speak", I should know better by now ;)

Yesterday, I was chalk-full of interruptions, knew I should have double-checked my results before posting...

I DO SEE they are Place Bolts, (as Jeff's pictures indicated AND as the Spreadsheets call out ~which I was using) so I have corrected my earlier reply.

I took a class back in High School for Mechanical Drawing, I think it was a single semester. So I am not even a Novice at DRAFTING.
(BTW: the last time I heard, it was call "Drifting" ;) )
Richard Urch

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 01:06:49 PM »
Whoops! I should never try and multi-task and quote "Jim Speak", I should know better by now ;)
After 20 some odd years in Military Logistics, I learned to speak "Military" using several Military Handbooks to be in compliance with Government Contract requirements. It's been many years, but I still think "Military". For reference, the company was Ford Aerospace.
(BTW: the last time I heard, it was call "Drifting" ;) )
"Drafting" is a technique used by Indy Cars using the aerodynamic low pressure area of a car in front of you, to allow your car to use less fuel while in the "chase".
Jim

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 02:37:42 PM »
Hello,

In attachment picture of what I've got on my car.
Bracket is definitely painted black.
Just an observation on my behalf.
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967