Author Topic: Door jamb switch color?  (Read 2859 times)

Offline 69RavenConv

• Owner since '74
Door jamb switch color?
« on: January 13, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »
A few years ago, I remember being disappointed that the repop door jamb switches I purchased were white plastic, as my originals were black. Now that I'm at the stage of actually re-assembling the car, I'm again curious. Everything on the net indicates white is the correct color but mine are not. Are black switches common/acceptable on a '69? I'm the second owner of the car, purchased it in 1974, so I have no reason to believe they're not the original factory part, and I don't have the swing-away steering column, it's a simple standard interior convertible.

Phil
'69 Convertible - Dearborn June 4, 1969 - Raven Black & Red - 302-2V

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Door jamb switch color?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 01:14:46 PM »
A few years ago, I remember being disappointed that the repop door jamb switches I purchased were white plastic, as my originals were black. Now that I'm at the stage of actually re-assembling the car, I'm again curious. Everything on the net indicates white is the correct color but mine are not. Are black switches common/acceptable on a '69? I'm the second owner of the car, purchased it in 1974, so I have no reason to believe they're not the original factory part, and I don't have the swing-away steering column, it's a simple standard interior convertible.
The white assemblyline were not a white white like the repros but moe of a creme color. Black is out of the ordinary IMHO.Dearborn were the creme color . Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69RavenConv

• Owner since '74
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 01:24:45 PM »
Thank you, Bob. It's possible that what I'm remembering as black was actually an aged and dirty creme (ie, brown). One was badly damaged but I'm sure I've still got the other somewhere, I'll try to find it and confirm the actual color. In any case, it sounds like the bright white repo's are what I'll use.
Phil

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 01:32:47 PM »
Thank you, Bob. It's possible that what I'm remembering as black was actually an aged and dirty creme (ie, brown). One was badly damaged but I'm sure I've still got the other somewhere, I'll try to find it and confirm the actual color. In any case, it sounds like the bright white repo's are what I'll use.
The bright white is definitely better them black IMO. Best of luck with the reassembly. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 10:23:07 PM »
The white assemblyline were not a white white like the repros but moe of a creme color. Black is out of the ordinary IMHO.Dearborn were the creme color . Bob

+1

Not sure where a black one would have come from on  the assembly line

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 10:48:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:25:37 PM »
I agree on the off-white switch. I have never, ever seen a Black one, except of course the body on Tilt-Away switch, or 65-66 switches.

My Question: What do you guys think about Black or Brown Push-Buttons? I have seen both, and I was wondering if it is a Plant/Supplier difference?
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline 69RavenConv

• Owner since '74
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 12:50:35 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. I want to apologize for posting from memory instead of getting my facts straight first. Attached is a picture of my original switch and the reproduction I bought some time ago. It's the button, not the housing, that is at issue. Sorry for all the confusion.

Phil

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. I want to apologize for posting from memory instead of getting my facts straight first. Attached is a picture of my original switch and the reproduction I bought some time ago. It's the button, not the housing, that is at issue. Sorry for all the confusion.
No white button. There are millions still in circulation . It still should be easy to find one . If you can't find one you just aren't looking hard enough. The biggest problem is trying to get someone to go to the trouble to pull off a inconsequential part (relatively speaking ) because there is no money in the effort. Best to change for a used one over that white button. Just my opinion. Bob

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 10:11:46 PM »
I've got door jamb switches for all years; I typically throw them out but still have quite a few left if anyone is interested.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com