Author Topic: 1969 Mustang - Color Code X  (Read 3380 times)

Offline 69GTconvert

1969 Mustang - Color Code X
« on: January 10, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »
I am looking at purchasing a 1969 Mustang convertible that shows a Color code of "X" on the data plate. The original color is long gone and I can't find the original factory color on any of the sheetmetal. I have two questions;

1. Will a Marti Report display the original color or can Kevin Marti do additional research to find out what it was?

2. What colors were available on a 1969 Mustang which had a Color code of "X"?

Thanks.
George
Georgia

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
390 4V, Close Ratio 4 Speed
Royal Maroon - Black Standard Interior w/ High Back Seats

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1969 Mustang - Color Code X
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 01:34:34 PM »
There are many documented examples where a paint, other than what was listed for a particular car line (T-Bird to a Mustang) or a color from a different year (67 on a 66) was used. Code "X" is shown as Dark Blue Metallic for 1969. A Marti Report should confirm what you are looking for so get one. Don't let the strange color stop you from getting the car.
Your second question is a bit un-clear. Can you restate it?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 69GTconvert

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 02:15:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

"2. What colors were available on a 1969 Mustang which had a Color code of "X"?"

What I meant by this question is I have seen 1969 Color Code "X" listed as Dark Metallic Blue (Presidential Blue) and also as one of the special paint codes such as was used on the "Rainbow of Colors" promotion. So what I should have asked is does Color Code "X' for 1969 represent Dark Metallic Blue, one of the Rainbow of Colors paint, or another paint color available from Ford?

If it helps, the Mustang I am looking at has a DSO of 74 (Seattle) and a Build Date of September 6, 1968.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:22:23 PM by 69convert »
George
Georgia

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 04:19:55 PM »
Your best information is a Marti report. I would assume that a non-standard paint would have a 6 digit DSO with the last four defining a special order and no paint code. As yours appears to have only two, code "X" would be the standard paint.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 08:22:05 PM »
What I meant by this question is I have seen 1969 Color Code "X" listed as Dark Metallic Blue (Presidential Blue) and also as one of the special paint codes such as was used on the "Rainbow of Colors" promotion.

Since they used the number from the fleet color chips no "code" would have been used such as a single digit though the colors chosen might have one or more names when ordered for another Ford line

So what I should have asked is does Color Code "X' for 1969 represent Dark Metallic Blue, one of the Rainbow of Colors paint, or another paint color available from Ford?

Color code on the door of X would indicate (would have to confirm with a Marti report) suggest that the car was originally Dark Metallic Blue if that is how its decoded. A special order car would have no code in the paint area of the door tag (unless it was a Mach I then a single "5" would be located there accompanied by a six digit DSO which would match the form number of the order
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69GTconvert

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 10:20:01 AM »
Jim and Jeff,

Thanks very much for the information. I will order a Marti Report as well to verify the color is in fact Dark Metallic Blue. I have done some research on that color as well and it appears to be a nice color and not seen too often on the 1969 Mustangs.

George
George
Georgia

Offline 69GTconvert

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 11:19:15 AM »
Jim and Jeff,

I emailed Kevin Marti about this Mustang I'm looking at and he told me Color "X"  wasn't used on the Mustang in 1969! That's interesting because I see some Mustang sites that list Color X as Presidential Blue for 1969.

I am trying to get a picture of the dataplate from the current owner to see if the Color code is "X" or if he just missread it. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:32:00 AM by 69convert »
George
Georgia