Author Topic: Brake Master cylinder/cap detail  (Read 5582 times)

Offline bbs428

• Retired navy brat
Brake Master cylinder/cap detail
« on: January 08, 2012, 02:28:30 PM »
I have gleened enough info thru this web site to get me close as the entire  m/c, cap, booster and check valve were painted by a vender.  Where I'm struggling is to the shade of gloss.  Is it just another semi gloss so that it differ's from the engine bay? Or in your opinion is it more on the glossy side?

Personally I think I over thought it and should just crack a beer and watch the football game today!! LOL :)

Thanks guys
Mach 1 428 cj "R" code 4spd. Royal Maroon. Built in San Jose 18 Feb, 1969.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Brake Master cylinder/cap detail
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 03:13:56 PM »
I have gleened enough info thru this web site to get me close as the entire  m/c, cap, booster and check valve were painted by a vender.  Where I'm struggling is to the shade of gloss.  Is it just another semi gloss so that it differ's from the engine bay? Or in your opinion is it more on the glossy side?

Personally I think I over thought it and should just crack a beer and watch the football game today!! LOL :)

Thanks guys
Most likely a slightly different sheen semi gloss. There are a infinite amount of different levels of gloss technically. The thought of the brake vendor paint matching exactly to the paint applied at Ford is probably astronomical but it could happen. Most are so minute that it difficult to discern a difference.I think you did over think it . Paint it anyone of the semi gloss black and when everything else on your car is perfect and you don't have anything else to do , then contemplate the possibility of the various slightly different levels of sheen a semi gloss black could be. Until then don't sweat it IMHO.  :D  Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bbs428

• Retired navy brat
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 12:00:51 AM »
Roger that . Agreed to the over thought.  I do that from time to time.  :)

I never thought of matching it really - just wanted a bit of difference under the hood without dorking it up.
I'll use a different sheen semi gloss and be done with it.

Appreciate it Bob, thanks
Mach 1 428 cj "R" code 4spd. Royal Maroon. Built in San Jose 18 Feb, 1969.

Offline specialed

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »
Anybody ever seen a silver cap on black painted master cyl. on unrestored late 70 era fords. I have seen a 50 mile ford pick-up truck and 2000 mile 70 b2 untouched late productions that way and am wondering if that is the way ford started doing it in 70 because of the paint being chipped of the cap when they added fluid when testing brakes on the line. I have seen several nos black painted master cyl. with silver cad plated caps in the boxes still yet and when they sold the cap separate in the box it was cad.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »
Anybody ever seen a silver cap on black painted master cyl. on unrestored late 70 era fords. I have seen a 50 mile ford pick-up truck and 2000 mile 70 b2 untouched late productions that way and am wondering if that is the way ford started doing it in 70 because of the paint being chipped of the cap when they added fluid when testing brakes on the line.................

Looking through my pictures I see nothing consistent and of course any of the nice plated ones may be replacements. Have painted ones, dichromate ones as well as zinc or old dichromate
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »
Jeff this is hard  to document because of the heat and corrosion from brake fluid and everytime the lid bail strap is pryed off the paint flakes off more.The used ones i collected out of junkyard cars never have paint left and surface rust is usually on them. I never kept track of which cars they came off of as they used the raised letter style on most fords from 69 up and some used ones i found in yards have some cad plating left on them yet.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 08:26:30 PM »
Agree  that after all these years and with so many of them changed out its difficult to tell for sure but we have to go with the most logical possibility and the few we have while continuing to search out new examples.

Have often found a little black paint on most of even the mostly plated caps in yard cars. Just depends on the condition

The search continues
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 02:19:43 AM »
have you got photos of low mile unmolested 71 up cars that show black on caps yet. I should check the nos M/C assemblies that i have that have black cyl. with cad caps to see if the bail wirestrap is raw or has black paint. I have some nos c8oz wire straps and they are raw spring steel.

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 12:29:38 PM »
Digging up an old topic with a new related question...

Were 1970 disk/drum master cylinders marked with any paint daubs? I just pulled what looks like an original 2227161 Bendix master cylinder out of a 1972 coupe that I found in a local yard. It's got a pink paint daub near the back fluid port. I'm going to have it rebuilt for use on my '70 (assembled at Metuchen in October 1969) and I might as well detail it correctly while it's off.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 05:07:12 PM »
Digging up an old topic with a new related question...

Were 1970 disk/drum master cylinders marked with any paint daubs? ...........

Under the semi-gloss black or over it ?
Jeff Speegle

Offline sah62

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 06:37:36 PM »
I guess I'm interested in both, Jeff. The one I found is rusty with no significant black paint remaining, but the pink mark is clearly visible.
Scott Hollenbeck
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline specialed

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 02:17:36 PM »
Scott i never seen pink there before usually top center color code Are you sure m/c hasnt been replaced & is there a date stamped top center on the side of fittings just below the cap?

Offline sah62

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 02:23:52 PM »
Are you sure m/c hasnt been replaced & is there a date stamped top center on the side of fittings just below the cap?

No, I don't know if it has ever been replaced. I found it on a car in a wrecking yard and with the non-original cap it may well be a mark put there by a rebuilder. Yes, there's something stamped on the side but I wasn't able to make it out (that area is very rusty and I didn't try to clean it off) before I shipped it off to be rebuilt.
Scott Hollenbeck
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »
Checked my pictures and I've got maybe six of them (dual reservoir master cylinders) marked on the drivers side back behind the rear most port.  Colors vary from white to red. Some appear to be quick swipes of a marker while others appear to be paint daubs.

All but one is off the car and most are NOS with rebuilder stamps in the side of the master cylinder. Only one claimed on a car is one that is posted on Jack Brooks (appears to be a white mark)  on a reported 7,000 mile 69 Shelby.

What I've current got on the subject ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 08:30:20 PM »
red is on b9 m/c & white is regular 68-72 mustang &cougar.