Author Topic: Another new guy ... sort of.  (Read 1588 times)

Offline bic69SCJ

Another new guy ... sort of.
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:01:27 PM »
Guys I registered here almost a year ago but never came back. I must have lost this page when I switched computers. Anyhow I'm glad to see this forum is still here as concours Mustangs are my favorites. Modified cars are great but there is something about original condition cars I love. As for me I have bad news and good news. The bad news is that I'm an old guy .... 65 last year. The good news is that being that old I was still a young guy when classic Mustangs were brand new. In the late summer of 1968 I was 22 years old, recently discharged from the Army (1st Air Cavalry Division - Vietnam) and in the market for a new car. One look at the 1969 Mustangs and I knew I had to have one. In October I ordered a '69 Mach 1. The order sheet included a 428 Cobra Jet engine, 4-speed transmission, power steering and brakes, AM-8 track radio and an optional axle ratio (3:91). Three long months later the car arrived, red with black interior, but with a 4:30 gear instead of the 3:91. Later that year my girlfriend and I were married and went on our honeymoon in the car.

Fast forward to now. I still have the car. It's gone from being a daily driver to a drag car, then a total professional restoration back to the way it looked the day it was delivered, with some deletions like the smog control which I didn't want back on the car. Now it's a summertime cruiser and a show car.

Sorry for being so long winded. Glad to be back on this forum. If I can be of assistance let me know.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Another new guy ... sort of.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 10:52:58 PM »
Guys I registered here almost a year ago but never came back. I must have lost this page when I switched computers. Anyhow I'm glad to see this forum is still here as concours Mustangs are my favorites. Modified cars are great but there is something about original condition cars I love. As for me I have bad news and good news. The bad news is that I'm an old guy .... 65 last year. The good news is that being that old I was still a young guy when classic Mustangs were brand new. In the late summer of 1968 I was 22 years old, recently discharged from the Army (1st Air Cavalry Division - Vietnam) and in the market for a new car. One look at the 1969 Mustangs and I knew I had to have one. In October I ordered a '69 Mach 1. The order sheet included a 428 Cobra Jet engine, 4-speed transmission, power steering and brakes, AM-8 track radio and an optional axle ratio (3:91). Three long months later the car arrived, red with black interior, but with a 4:30 gear instead of the 3:91. Later that year my girlfriend and I were married and went on our honeymoon in the car.

Fast forward to now. I still have the car. It's gone from being a daily driver to a drag car, then a total professional restoration back to the way it looked the day it was delivered, with some deletions like the smog control which I didn't want back on the car. Now it's a summertime cruiser and a show car.

Sorry for being so long winded. Glad to be back on this forum. If I can be of assistance let me know.

Welcome. That is a great story and congratulations to have had enough fortune and presnce of mind to keep your 69 Mach I all these years .It looks great in the pictures. I am very envious of your foresight. I too had a 69 mach one as a first car in 1970 . 428 cj 4 speed and was the terror of my high school.  Sadly i had to sell it a few years later to finance my first 67 Shelby. I wish I could have kept it too. I often wonder about my first car but think it is in a land fill someplace. Enjoy the forum. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 07:54:31 PM »
Welcome back ;)

Great story. I kept my first car, still have it though have considered selling it many times and likely will in the years to come.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:19:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 08:13:50 PM »
That is an awesome story! Most of us have the 'One that got away' story, and it is always refreshing to hear the story of someone who never let it get away. That sure is a beautiful car!

Sometimes though, letting the first one go can set the stage for other's stories, such is probably the case with Bob's First Shelby, because if he hadn't got that.......???

Letting my first Mustang go started what I do today. Of course that wouldn't have happened if it was a 428..

Welcome back to the forum.  the GREATEST SOURCE ON EARTH FOR CONCOURS MUSTANG KNOWLEDGE.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs