Author Topic: 1967 Power Steering Questions  (Read 1439 times)

Offline RocketScientist

1967 Power Steering Questions
« on: December 08, 2011, 08:32:14 PM »
I have some questions.....

1) I was wondering if there was any methodology behind which power steering pump (TRW or Ford Thompson) was installed in which car. For example, was there a preference on production plant, engine, year etc? My specific interest is what would be most correct for a 1967, C code, SJ built on 12 July 1967 (if any) but I would like to gain more knowledge on the subject as well.

2) I have heard a few times that some 67 cars built towards the end of the production series had received the 68 steering box with the rag joint and collapsable column. I was wondering if this was fact or fiction?  If it was fact, to what extent were the 67 parts replaced with the 68 ones? Was it just the box, or did it extend to the pump, ram, hoses etc?  I am not trying to prove/disprove anything but asking out of curiosity.

Thanks (as always),  Brad.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 Power Steering Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 12:36:49 AM »
I have some questions.....

1) I was wondering if there was any methodology behind which power steering pump (TRW or Ford Thompson) was installed in which car. For example, was there a preference on production plant, engine, year etc? My specific interest is what would be most correct for a 1967, C code, SJ built on 12 July 1967 (if any) but I would like to gain more knowledge on the subject as well.

2) I have heard a few times that some 67 cars built towards the end of the production series had received the 68 steering box with the rag joint and collapsable column. I was wondering if this was fact or fiction?  If it was fact, to what extent were the 67 parts replaced with the 68 ones? Was it just the box, or did it extend to the pump, ram, hoses etc?  I am not trying to prove/disprove anything but asking out of curiosity.

Thanks (as always),  Brad.
Brad, I am not aware of a way to tell which car got which MFG pump. The 67 cars that are my field of interest are all from SJ and I have found a larger majority that were TRW then Ford Thompson on those cars. With that said the difference was hardly worth mentioning and my observations might be skewed one way instead of another by the luck of the draw. From my observations it seems that a steady flow of parts was being used from both MFG's and since they were built to the same specs there wasn't a real need to identify which cars got which MFG pump other then marking the individual pump with tag of MFG of origin and outside color for quick recognition in case of a problem. There were a good number of parts that changed to the later 68 style in 67 production . I am constantly being remind of the changes late in the year by parts I am finding that push the production year use boundaries but I can't be any help on your column question. Just some of my observations and opinions.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RocketScientist

Re: 1967 Power Steering Questions
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 10:46:38 AM »
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the information. You mentioned that 68 parts started to creep into the 67 cars late in the production run. In your experience, what period of time (eg month) represents the late period of the Mustang run and is there a definite time after which the later model parts are becoming more common? Or is it less defined and is it based purely on maintaing the supply of parts for production?
Thanks, Brad.