Author Topic: Early 65 Dearborn inside the trunk pictures  (Read 7087 times)

Offline jtfx6552

Early 65 Dearborn inside the trunk pictures
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:11:19 PM »
Anyone have some pictures of the undercoating/sound deadener, inside the trunk on an early 65 model year dearborn car? Mine is date code 29K (Oct'64).

I'd love to see some pictures of what it looked like in there.

Also pictures of the seam sealer around the taillight panel and bumper supports would be helpful as well.

JT
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline 5F09CNot4Sale

• If it does not fit, you need a bigger hammer!
Re: Early 65 Dearborn inside the trunk pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:21:58 PM »
If you give me until next week I have a Sept 28 Fastback I can post some pictures. The tunk has not been restored.

5F09C3031XX Sept 28 64 Dearborn
5F07F1838XX June 29 64 Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:52:04 PM »
Here is one example from around that time period. Body style IMHO should not make a great difference

Did highlight the pattern on a couple of pictures to help out - at least where it looks to travel to me ;)

Not a well defined sound deadener pattern on the quarters and the seam sealer allot thinner and neater that other periods and plants

Hope this helps

Quarter panel

Taillight panel to lower rear panel

Taillight panel and bumper support

Rear wheel tubs to floor

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:30:29 PM »
If you give me until next week I have a Sept 28 Fastback I can post some pictures. The tunk has not been restored.

Sounds good, looking forward to it.
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 11:32:28 PM »
Here is one example from around that time period. Body style IMHO should not make a great difference

Did highlight the pattern on a couple of pictures to help out - at least where it looks to travel to me ;)

Not a well defined sound deadener pattern on the quarters and the seam sealer allot thinner and neater that other periods and plants

Hope this helps

Quarter panel

Taillight panel to lower rear panel

Taillight panel and bumper support

Rear wheel tubs to floor

Thanks!

The hightlighting is nice as it is hard to see. Can you tell n the 1/4s, does the edge of the undercoating stop before it gets to the outer wheel house? Is there any undercoating overspray on the outer wheelhouse?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 01:06:12 AM »
Thanks!

The hightlighting is nice as it is hard to see. Can you tell n the 1/4s, does the edge of the undercoating stop before it gets to the outer wheel house? Is there any undercoating overspray on the outer wheelhouse?

Sound deadener stops  (typically and on the example) before the wheel house and no overspray  on the wheel house

The sound deadener normally does not produce much of an overspray like paint did - its at allot heavier and normally applied just abut 90 degree to the surface in this application
Jeff Speegle

Offline rodster

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 08:06:23 PM »
Don't know if this is typical but it appears sound deadener was sprayed between the fender and wheelhouse with a bit of deadener on both.

65 Dearborn April 19th build date

1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline rodster

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 08:10:05 PM »
Same car and there are some runs in the paint of the outer wheelhouse.  Possibly from when the wheelhouse was painted?

Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 08:58:23 PM »
Same car and there are some runs in the paint of the outer wheelhouse.  Possibly from when the wheelhouse was painted?

Those runs are pretty typical at at least a couple of plants. Never cut through them (should) to see if that is a primer run or a paint run which would give us an idea of when that was done and why it happened.
Jeff Speegle

Offline rodster

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 09:06:45 PM »
Those runs are pretty typical at at least a couple of plants. Never cut through them (should) to see if that is a primer run or a paint run which would give us an idea of when that was done and why it happened.

I'll get on that tomorrow. ;)  From what I could tell it appeared to be a black paint run but I'll pull one off and cut through it to confirm.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 09:37:48 PM »
I'll get on that tomorrow. ;)  From what I could tell it appeared to be a black paint run but I'll pull one off and cut through it to confirm.

If its in the paint (my guess also) then I would guess that we are looking at the body being tilted after the body was sprayed, as it moved from station to station (or to or in the ovens)

Jeff Speegle

Offline rodster

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 10:19:19 PM »
Paint runs on the DS too.   Think these paint runs had to come from the trunk area being painted? The must have been pretty heavy on the paint on this car as there are other runs on it too.

Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline rodster

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 12:26:19 AM »

I was wrong about my guess that it was a paint run....ends up it's a primer run with a thin coat of black over it.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 12:54:05 AM »
Those runs, when present, are typically coming from the bottom up... which means the car was turned up somehow during part of the priming process.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 07:01:02 PM »
Here is a picture of the inside of the trunk of a pre-production Mustang VIN #4, build date code 5C.  I can't vouch for the originality of the sound deadener but I do know the quarter is original to the car so I would assume the sound deadener is original as well.

Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"