Author Topic: 67 dearborn build body paint  (Read 3197 times)

Offline 67gta289

67 dearborn build body paint
« on: October 15, 2011, 03:56:08 PM »
Here's pictures of a 67 dearborn built fastback that shows: (1) body color (green) all the way to the radiator support including the hood bumper brackets.  Most of the black has worn away due to exposure, (2) the paint break near the cowl, (3) rubber washer or sealant under bolt for rear bumper guard.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 68 S Code

Re: 67 dearborn build body paint
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 11:49:27 AM »
Looking at the pics especially the one with the rear bumperette I believe that is not sealant but a J clip with an integral rubber washer. I have a few of these from 67-68 cars I stripped in the past. I believe the bolt head had some black sealant under the washer on the trunk side.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:51:13 AM by 68 S Code »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 07:30:02 PM »
Here's pictures of a 67 dearborn built fastback that shows: (1) body color (green) all the way to the radiator support including the hood bumper brackets.  Most of the black has worn away due to exposure,

Yes typical (black bakes off over time- exposed) especially in certain parts of the country, Oklahoma is the worst I've seen for this. No wonder some restorers have difficulty determining some of the details when the paint is all gone. And yes (typically) Dearborn painters didn't seem to mind painting allot of the upper parts of the engine compartment even though it would all be covered. Doesn't fit with the lazy - doing just enough to get by sort of picture many paint of the workers there

(2) the paint break near the cowl,

You can even see the brush marks in your picture. Not unusual to find (at Dearborn) the edge being finished off with a brush. IMHO there was a paint brush in a small can/bucket of black paint somewhere down the line were a worker or inspector touched up some of the black (pinch welds, engine compartment, headlight buckets...... depending on the year and model)

Thanks for sharing
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 11:24:51 PM »
IMHO there was a paint brush in a small can/bucket of black paint somewhere down the line were a worker or inspector touched up some of the black (pinch welds, engine compartment, headlight buckets...... depending on the year and model)

Thanks for sharing

Jeff,

It looks like that paint brush and can may have been handy the day this 67 was built in Dearborn!  :)

1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 02:55:22 AM »
Jeff,
It looks like that paint brush and can may have been handy the day this 67 was built in Dearborn!  :)

Yes it looks like the painter (engine compartment black) didn't cover everything one of the inspectors wanted.

Oddest one yet is the pinch weld on a whole car being done with the brush and can of black paint because someone missed it earlier in the line
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 10:09:55 PM »
Rodster looks like the grille color on your car has survived nicely. You should get a good paint supplier to try to match that color mix to share with other 67 owners.

Offline rodster

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 12:30:11 AM »
Rodster looks like the grille color on your car has survived nicely. You should get a good paint supplier to try to match that color mix to share with other 67 owners.

Good point, I'll certainly keep that in mind.  I didn't think about it, figuring someone else has already done it?
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 09:06:41 AM »
I have it if someone wants it. Marty

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 12:41:15 PM »
Marty I thought that if Rodster  got a mix number it would be easier then sending out samples. Thanks for sending out the sample for the 68 GT grille a few months back.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 10:53:42 AM »
Not sure but was the black-out of the rear apron done with the brush on this example. From some of the brush strokes it looks like it could be original. Odd that there is a band of gold paint between the black portions. Maybe the guy with the bush was pressed for time?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:56:00 AM by 68 S Code »