Author Topic: Bumpers & Date stamps  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Angela

Bumpers & Date stamps
« on: September 26, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »
I have two rechromed 1967 rear bumpers and are what I suspect are original factory equipment. Additionally, I have one more 67
rear bumper that has not been rechromed and I also believe is an original factory piece. However, of these three rear bumpers,
only one of the three has a date code stamped onto the flat area just above the license plate.

---> My question is whether or not all chrome bumpers were date-stamped. I have compared these three bumpers to a repro bumper and
they are different in form, thus I don't suspect they are old repros that have been rechromed.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Bumpers & Date stamps
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 10:33:54 AM »
The factory line bumpers would normally be date-stamped.  Check the inside for the date stamp as some were stamped from that side.  Consider that the numbers might have been ground down smooth during a re-chrome job.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:18:35 PM »
The date-stamped bumper has been stamped from the inside and as a result, you can just slightly feel the stamping on the exterior side of the bumper as well.

The stamp is 1116 W2  (I do not know what this means, except I suspect the W2 refers to the plant and shift)

The other bumpers have no indication of a date stamp... I see your point on the possibility of these having been ground down, yet I don't even see a faint remnant of any original stamp on the other two bumpers. I'm concerned I've been burned by the re-chrome guys, yet all three bumpers look identical in the way they're stamped and appear different from the repro bumper I own.

Offline magilla

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 04:14:39 PM »
may I ask a related question re bumpers? is it more or less expensive to have one rechromed vs buying a repro? thx

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »
may I ask a related question re bumpers? is it more or less expensive to have one rechromed vs buying a repro? thx

Best to start a new thread for this, but I understand that they are related.  Generally, original bumpers with no dents or problems run about $350-400 each to re-chrome.  So, quite more expensive than repro, but the headaches having to deal with repro parts may be worth the extra expense to some.

Offline Angela

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 06:23:18 PM »
What I think I am hearing is that I must have one of the following:
(a) a Ford service part which never had a date stamped into it
(b) a factory piece which the date stamp has been destroyed during the re-chrome process
(c) an old repro that someone sent in as a core and I wound up with it.

anyone know what 1116 W2     means? Does this mean Nov 16, 2nd shift at a specific plant?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 07:00:08 PM »
What I think I am hearing is that I must have one of the following:
(a) a Ford service part which never had a date stamped into it

Have seen service replacements with dates - its the same suppliers as the originals and they were stamping original bumpers for the current year Mustangs so I'm not sure what others are seeing unless they are referring to some of the ones made in the 80's or newer ones
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Angela

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 01:03:52 PM »
Thanks Jeff. OK, perhaps as you stated, I might have a Ford service part wherein no date was stamped into the metal. I suspect that is the case, yet I don't like the possibility that I *could* have a 20-yr old repro that someone used as a core when they bought a re-chrome bumper. There's just no clear way to tell. It's a long story, but let's just say I have a lot of $ tied up in this non-date-stamped re-chromed rear bumper and I am so mad at myself for not realizing it was missing the date-stamp before I paid in cash.

If anyone has suggestions and/or pictures of possible ways to help learn whether or not my bumper is a ford or repro part, please let me know. Thank you.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 02:25:32 PM »
If anyone has suggestions and/or pictures of possible ways to help learn whether or not my bumper is a ford or repro part, please let me know. Thank you.

I think the best way to know if it is a Ford bumper is to install it on the car and see how it fits.  How well it lines up with quarters and extensions will be a good indicator of it being original Ford.  But, without a date, it still leaves the possibility of it being a repro piece.

Offline Angela

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 03:16:11 PM »
Good point Charles. I can bolt it up and see how it fits. I suspect it's going to fit really well, since I cannot distinguish any difference between it and the date-coded bumper I own. I wish the place I bought it from cared more about their reputation and would exchange it for me. I'm certain most folks have heard of this company since they travel to shows nationwide. This is the third re-chrome I have purchased from them, and the last. It has been nothing but a headache dealing with them.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 08:52:58 PM »
1116 W2 is Nov 16th Woodhaven, MI plant 2nd shift. No year in sheetmetal stampings
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 03:26:07 AM »
Good point Charles. I can bolt it up and see how it fits. I suspect it's going to fit really well, since I cannot distinguish any difference between it and the date-coded bumper I own. I wish the place I bought it from cared more about their reputation and would exchange it for me. I'm certain most folks have heard of this company since they travel to shows nationwide. This is the third re-chrome I have purchased from them, and the last. It has been nothing but a headache dealing with them.
If it was Bumper Boyz i gave up on them some years ago. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Angela

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 10:05:20 AM »
Bob, you hit the nail on the head.