Author Topic: 1966 Interior Body Paint  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Pete Bush

1966 Interior Body Paint
« on: September 23, 2011, 07:29:28 AM »
The interior body was painted on the Body & Paint line along with the exterior body. What metal items were painted at this time?
Instrument panel?
Metal door surfaces?
Windshield posts?
Were there other metal pieces painted at this time?
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 Interior Body Paint
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:02:16 PM »
The interior body was painted on the Body & Paint line along with the exterior body.

The interior was shot prior to body color. They applied the interior color (64-66) to the dash, a pillars (windshield posts) and inner door surfaces. Then masks were applied over  the important surfaces and the body color was applied at a later station

What metal items were painted at this time?

After body color (depending on plant, body style and time period some surfaces were blacked out in the interior but not all and not typically
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:04:03 PM »
The interior was shot prior to body color. They applied the interior color (64-66) to the dash, a pillars (windshield posts) and inner door surfaces. Then masks were applied over  the important surfaces and the body color was applied at a later station

The reason I ask, is that I'm working on another build sheet with a code 68 interior. This would mean, I believe, that the dash was white while the A-pillars and interior door surfaces were Ivy Gold. I was curious how they painted this combination without getting over-spray between finishes. Dash and A-pillars are pretty close together. Do you have any pictures or description from workers on  masks or techniques?

BTW, the I.B. Color Code (Interior Body) on the build sheet is unique for this color combination.
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 11:40:24 AM »
I thought IB was Interior Base color, or the main color of the interior as there were 2 tones.  Of course, just my guess.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin