Author Topic: which way should power roof switch operate? '67 convertible  (Read 961 times)

Offline 2V8s

which way should power roof switch operate? '67 convertible
« on: September 14, 2011, 10:01:14 AM »
Hi,

on my '67 convertible, the power roof switch has always seemed to work back to front. If you want to put the roof down, you flick the switch upwards, and visa versa. I have come to remember this by pushing it the direction you want the header rail to move relative to the winscreen header.

Anyhow, I checked the original users manual I have for the car which confirms my suspicions that it's the wrong way around. It implies that, as would be logical, you move the switch down to put the roof down.

So I figured the switch may be in upside down - it isnt, as it only fits one way.

Interestingly, I checked with 2 other '67 owners. Both also from San Hose. One of them was exactly like mine. The other was the opposite.

The switch on mine looks to be the original, with the wires crimped directly into it, so they arent easily removable to re-wire.

I am wondering, could it be likely the factory wired up a load of cars the wrong way? From wiring diagrams it seems maybe the red and yellow wires are crimped on the wrong terminals.

Can anyone confirm the wiring to the back of the switch?

Attached is aphoto of my switch in the correct orientation as it fits into the dash, red in top connection, yellow at bottom.

Of course it is possible someone has replaced the switch over the years - but it seems likely to be the original, and the previous owner of 16 years said it's always been like this.

Any help appreciated!

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:03:57 AM by 2V8s »
1967 Mustang Convertible C code auto - San Jose 30th Jan 1967
1974 Corvette convertible 350 L48 Auto
2004 Mg ZT 260 SE (Ford V8)
1994 Rover 214 Si 16v
2005 Renault Grand Espace 2.2 DCi

Offline rodster

Re: which way should power roof switch operate? '67 convertible
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 12:01:40 AM »

I have a very original Dearborn car and the switch works like yours.  Flip the switch up to open the roof, flip down to close. I have an original manual and will need to check it too.  I can see the logic in thinking the switch would go down to put the top down, but maybe whoever wired our cars thinks up means 'activate' 'open' 'on' like a light switch.  :D  It's a wonder they didn't put some text on the switch.

It's my first and only convertible so I wonder if all Fords follow what you describe it says in the manual?

Convertible owners??  Feel free to chime in!
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A