Author Topic: Spray can - Corporate Blue Engine Color Attempts, Results and Attempts  (Read 43365 times)

Offline rare70cat

Re: Eastwood 2K engine paint
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2020, 12:46:56 PM »
489 views and nobody has used the eastwood 2k? I guess I'll buy a can and check it against the plastikote 224.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 06:09:56 PM by rare70cat »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2020, 06:00:49 PM »
Haven't used it since I didn't like the results/tint.

Just my take on the product
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2020, 08:30:24 PM »
You talking Corperate Blue? I used it and liked the color, shine and ease of use. I had run out of my PPG paint and used that. Would use it again.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2020, 11:36:49 PM »
We had this in another forum. The color wasn't correct and I wouldn't use Plasticolor. What matched my O/E paint samples in a spray can closest was Dupli-color DE1621, Ford Old Blue. The other they offer is much too dark which is ford Dark Blue and the Ford Light Blue is far too light. Make sure your surfaces are spotless. I laid down four coats of color and their high temp clear coat. I prefer a little more gloss because dust doesn't seem to adhere as easily and grease wipes off easier.

-Keith

Offline jameslgleason

I realize this is an old post, but I'm also on the search for the correct color for my early 1966 Mustang 289 engine. I bought Dupli-Color 1606 and my engine is not that dark blue. I'm having it rebuilt and know for certain that it hasn't been worked on at this level since the factory, so all indicators show a much lighter blue than 1606 (Ford Dark Blue). I'm going to buy a can of 1621, as it looks like the closest to what I have now.
The attached photo shows the cap of 1606 next to three of my engine parts, and the lower right is 1606 painted onto a toploader. It's clearly too dark.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Since you brought the thread back up to the top it gave me an opportunity to add to the title so that it better described the focus. Of course there are at least a half dozen threads that suggest not using the pray/rattle cans but instead produces that reproduce the original color better as well as hold up longer to age, wear and exposure.

One of the issues with dated threads (this one is almost ten years old) and post is that companies go out of business, change formulas or product is not longer legal to apply or purchase.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
50 plus of weather and heat cycles certainly has an effect of color as well

8 years has to be contender for longest resurrection?

I might also add the cap is not indicative of the color in the can.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:33:10 AM by Coralsnake »

Offline RoyceP

Like Pete says, the color tends to fade over the decades so that it fools you into thinking it was lighter originally than it really was. Old Ford Blue is correct for 1964 1/2 260 valve covers / air cleaner. 1966 - through something like 1978 is Ford Dark Corporate Blue.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Color variants also caused by thin/thick application at the engine plant.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rare70cat

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2020, 06:05:41 PM »
Here is a 460 valve cover I painted using the eastwood 2k engine paint. This is pic was taken on my front porch with natural light.

Offline rare70cat

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2020, 07:04:35 PM »
So what is the current (2020) / correct line of Ford corporate blue catalyzed engine paint? Omni?

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2020, 07:32:59 PM »
A side by side, with some of the other choices, would make an opinion a bit easier.  Your valve cover example looks a bit light ?  I am using the ' FORD Dark Blue ' Dupli-Color' engine enamel 1606 and satisfied with the color and longevity. Appreciate your investigation.  Brian
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 12:39:23 AM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline rare70cat

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2020, 11:18:11 PM »
Yea I can't find the plastikote 224 locally. Found it online. I found this video very informative. www.hotrod.com/articles/get-right-ford-engine-paint/

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2020, 12:25:06 AM »
Yea I can't find the plastikote 224 locally. Found it online. I found this video very informative. www.hotrod.com/articles/get-right-ford-engine-paint/

Yes used the Platikote for years and was always a good match. Moved on to two part paint for longevity.

See our own Charles Turner got a mention in the video clip :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline rare70cat

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2020, 05:58:59 PM »
Went to PPG auto paint store in Savannah,GA. Bought a quart and mixing components for OMNI 13358. See attached pics. The Eastwood is close. Maybe a shade or two lighter? You be the judge. The first picture is under BRIGHT LED lighting in my garage. The second picture is next to the valve cover under the same LED lighting. The third picture is outside on the front porch and the last is the OMNI can with formula. It is AMAZING how much difference there is in monitors/colors. I received an order from Dead nuts on today. I bought the steering column bushing for the reverse lockout rod. Looking at the monitor it looks lime green on their website. In actuality it looks like a light olive green. Watching the Hotrod video on engine paint the PPG and OMNI look like they are royal blue. What's in the OMNI can is definitely NOT royal blue.