Author Topic: Looking for "Correct" 1966 289 Engine color Using Spray cans?  (Read 22044 times)

Offline sgl66

Re: Looking for "Correct" 1966 289 Engine color Using Spray cans?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2023, 08:37:59 PM »
Stumbled across this today. Although it's a 2018 MT article, it does appear to have some useful information about color variations
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/get-right-ford-engine-paint/
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline jameslgleason

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2023, 09:20:50 PM »
Excellent video! This confirms my choice of the lighter Ford Corporate Blue.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2023, 10:04:16 PM »
Excellent video! This confirms my choice of the lighter Ford Corporate Blue.
I was hard for me to let your incomplete statement hang out there without some clarification for others reading. It appears your mind was made up back in reply #9 when you wrote you were working on a 66 Mustang. For others expect push back and deductions in concours venues if you paint a 66 Mustang 289 engine the Lighter Ford Corporate Blue.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jameslgleason

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2023, 01:30:01 AM »
Yes, that confirms that I chose the correct color. I chose the lighter Delstar blue and not the darker Dupli-Color blue

Seeing that my 1966 motor had not been rebuilt before, and the block, intake, pan, valve covers, and air cleaner assembly all matched the Delstar blue, I feel confident I chose correctly. Nothing I had matched the darker Duplicate-Color blue.

I?m not saying that color might not have changed over time (and heat), but everything that was blue was the same blue, so I felt confident in my choice. This video only confirmed the decision that I made.

Does that clarify?

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2023, 09:50:45 AM »
Since this is a very old thread, I thought I would add that the Duplacolor 1606 use to be the go-to match. A few years ago, they changed 1606 to a darker blue.  Duplacolor still has a good match, and I cannot remember the number, but it is called old Ford blue.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2023, 05:08:22 PM »
Yes, that confirms that I chose the correct color. I chose the lighter Delstar blue and not the darker Dupli-Color blue

Seeing that my 1966 motor had not been rebuilt before, and the block, intake, pan, valve covers, and air cleaner assembly all matched the Delstar blue, I feel confident I chose correctly. Nothing I had matched the darker Duplicate-Color blue.

I?m not saying that color might not have changed over time (and heat), but everything that was blue was the same blue, so I felt confident in my choice. This video only confirmed the decision that I made.

Does that clarify?

Just as a question for discussion and reflection. How many unrestored 66's from the same time period have you documented as being the same color tint?  Surely your car would have not had a different color that all the other cars built that day. Also having a "different" color/tint would require all the other plants and suppliers providing parts (example air cleaner)  much have had the same paint color that arrived at the car plant all at the same time.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jameslgleason

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2023, 05:33:45 PM »
Sorry, I don?t know anything about that. I?m not tying to influence others, just simply to understand for my car and my use. I do have another friend with a 1966 unrestored Mustang and his engine color is similar to mine. That?s all that I know. I?m not an authority, nor claim to be one. I do a lot of research and rely on the work of other professionals (like the video above). I appreciate their work and knowledge. As I said, I was encouraged by the confirmation of the Motortrend video.