Author Topic: What color underneath the car?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline MWM

What color underneath the car?
« on: July 15, 2011, 02:57:11 PM »
Okay, I'm a little confused so please bear with me. I have a December of 1964 Ford Mustang A code fastback from San Jose. What color should the underneath be? Currently it is satin black, but in some places under the black there is red oxide. Also around the torque boxes under the black I have found body color. What do I tell the bodyman?
Thanks!

Offline ChrisV289

Re: What color underneath the car?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:05:48 PM »
I have an Oct 64 FB from SJ and I know my floor pans are black from the firewall back.  There has been numerous discussions on this issue.  Here is one of the threads on it 

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=337.0
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: What color underneath the car?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »
Okay, I'm a little confused so please bear with me. I have a December of 1964 Ford Mustang A code fastback from San Jose. What color should the underneath be? Currently it is satin black, but in some places under the black there is red oxide. Also around the torque boxes under the black I have found body color. What do I tell the bodyman?
Thanks!

Sounds like you have evidence of some prior owner and black paint added.

Since we really don't know when these cars were built we have to rely on what we find on the car originally. Lacking that we have to give it a best guess.

So IMHO a mid December 64 car could have the typical red oxide or black. In both cases this is a smooth slightly shinny epoxy primer (not the flat Rustoleum looking stuff) 

And with either the front frame rails, from about firewall forward, would be red oxide in color. Shot at a different station - different painter/process
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)