Author Topic: 69 Original Tie rod Ends  (Read 3207 times)

Offline G Wood

69 Original Tie rod Ends
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:28:20 AM »
How do I tell if the tie rods (inner and outer) that I have are original or not? I think I can make out a number 4004, no other marks are evident.

65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Re: 69 Original Tie rod Ends
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:19:10 AM »

There is some slight variations of the original assembly line tie rods I have seen....but in general would look like the tie rods I just listed on Ebay.  You can get some good pictures from that. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150624039583&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150624039009&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:50:17 AM »
After looking at the picture in the provided link as a reference there are some things that will stand out. Generally a good way to tell is if the tie rod ends have the boot with the metal ring 65 to most of 69. Most of the replacement tie rods you will find have a all rubber boot that slips over the shaft . Once you have moved passed that main point you can go on to things like not having grease zert (assemblyline) or if the bottom of tie rod has blank spot or has a"B" stamped into the metal which are assemblyline variations depending on the application. Ones that have a other printing stamped on the bottom are aftermarket. In order of priority- boot with ring 65 to most of 69, if has grease zert or not  and then relevant stamping on the bottom. Bob
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:56:53 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline G Wood

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 12:26:01 PM »
Thanks Bob, this is helpful.

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »

I think the numbers you see on the tie rods are actually 4040 which from my understanding is part of the casting numbers.  Seen them on some originals, and some dont have them at all.  Everything else like Bob mentions is the same except for the addition of these numbers.  Still originals in my opinion.  This is a pictures showing what I think you are talking about:

Marcus Anghel

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 11:56:06 PM »
I think the numbers you see on the tie rods are actually 4040 which from my understanding is part of the casting numbers.  Seen them on some originals, and some dont have them at all.  Everything else like Bob mentions is the same except for the addition of these numbers.  Still originals in my opinion.  This is a pictures showing what I think you are talking about:

Not what I was talking about. The abnormal letters or numbers that I was refering to in my post (other then "B" or blank) that indicate a aftermarket variety are metal stamped into the flat round bottom disc looking area. I agree that the cast in numbers and letters may vary greatly from one to another and are not a good indcator IMHO. Bob
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:00:22 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline G Wood

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:59:51 AM »
From what I recall, mine are 4004 stamped into the flat bottom disc so they would be replacements.

Thanks for your help

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 01:04:57 PM »

Agree with what you are saying Bob......I am just going to add some pictures here to be more clear of what I have come across over the years on original "style" tie rods.  I think the assembly line tie rods either had a B stamping or were blank on the flat bottom portion.  At some point the vendor moved from a B stamping to a 360R and 360L stamping on the tie rods.  Except for the stamping, there are identical in every single way.  Picture below shows 4 versions I have seen:
Blank with no stamping.
B Stamping
Both a B stamping and 360R on the same tie rod (unusual)
360R stamping

Besides this stamping there is also what appears to be a casting number in the tie rods themselves which always seems to be 13-4040 number.  I have seen this number cast into the tie rods on all 4 versions.

Hope that helps.

Marcus Anghel