Author Topic: '66 Console Installation Questions  (Read 4956 times)

Offline Vintage66

'66 Console Installation Questions
« on: June 26, 2011, 11:04:02 AM »
Hi,

This is my first post on here, so I hope this is the right section for this.  I'm in the process of installing a full length console in my car and I have some questions:

1) If the bracket that goes under the storage compartment is not installed, does it greatly jeopardize the stability of the console?  There is a plastic mount on the bottom of my console that has a wiring clip attached to it and it look like it would be very difficult getting it over/around the bracket.  The mount was actually broken off when I got the console but it was all hanging on to the wiring harness by the clip.  I cemented it back on the console, but seeing how tight the fit/clearance is, I think I understand why it got broken off.  If the bracket really should be installed, would I be better off cutting the mount back off and just securing the wires to the bottom of the consloe with tape?

2) I see that there are two ground wires, one coming of the main harness and the other coming of the wiring for the compartment light that get screwed to the transmission hump.  Where is the proper location for the hole for the ground screw?  I want to make sure I drill it in the right location so all the wires reach the other wires they plug into.

3) This is not a console question, but does the luggage guard strip that goes on the pinch weld in the trunk get glued on or does it just slip on?

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Scott   

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: '66 Console Installation Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:41:26 PM »
The bracket will add rigidity to the front of the console, so I would recommend using it.  It's easiest to install the console with the front seats out so you can bring it in from the side and roll it over.

Attaching a pic of the ground wire attaching point.  Although, as a reference, this is a Feb. '65 San Jose car.  I'm guessing there might have been a dimple there or maybe just a general place to install it.  If you have an automatic car, it will get installed in the same spot as the ground for the shifter light.  Don't forget the tooth washer to promote a good ground.

One other thing, if your car did not have a console originally, check on the wiring lead that runs behind the firewall pad.  There is usually a plastic loop clip with a screw to attach it.  The screw sticks out a little into the engine bay.

The protective strip in the trunk was glued on with brownish yellow (amber) color glue.  It's typical for a little to a lot to be slopped around the area.  It's your choice how sloppy you want to get.  Might want to reference other cars built close to yours at the same assembly plant.  Might see patterns to support the way it was being applied at that time.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Vintage66

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:25:36 AM »
Charles,

Thank you.  The information you gave is very helpful.  I have a good idea of where to locate the ground screw now.  I am adding the console.  My car didn't have one originally.  It's a Dearborn car, built 1/15/66.  It has a manual transmission (3-speed).

I still have a couple more questions.  On the front part of the main wiring harness that has the wire and socket for the compartment light, there is another ground wire similar to the one in the picture you posted.  My initial thought was to attach it to the same spot on the transmission hump as the other wire.  However, I saw a picture on the website for one of the Mustang parts vendors that shows the ground wire routed through one of the holes in the floor of the storage compartment and attached to the screw that holds the console door spring down.  Which do you think is the better place to attach it?  Also, does the console need to be fully installed for the compartment light to work?  I checked my lights with a 12-volt power source and the ones in the back of the console work, but compartment light won't.  We've checked the bulb and it works.  We've also used a meter to check for continuity and everything seems to be okay.  All the wiring is new, too.  It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if it didn't work, but I'd like for it to if possible.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:43:32 AM »
I'm guessing the extra wire you have is for the console style with the light at the top and the brass rod that makes contact when the front door is pushed open.  I don't think mounting the front to the floor is absolutely necessary for this part to work.

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:57:47 AM »
Yes you need to connect the ground wire to the spring in the compartment (which then completes the circuit to the door). When the console door is opened it makes contact with the copper rod/tang that is connected to the light in the top of the console. This completes the circuit and turns the light on. I have a May 66 Dearborn and can post pics if needed.

Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline Vintage66

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:22:20 PM »
Thanks fo all the good info.  Got all the holes drilled and am ready to start the install.  Wish me luck.  Also, I bought a sound deadener kit that is supposed to be like the original stuff, althought it's been years since the original sound deadener was replaced, so I really don't remember what it looked like.  This stuff has one side that looks like carpet padding and the other side is black and has sort of a clear film over it.  Does the padded side go up?  Guessing it does, but wanted to make sure before I put everything back together.

Offline Vintage66

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 06:54:31 PM »
Never mind.  Called the place I bought it from and asked them.  Tar side goes down.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 09:39:38 PM »
Yes, tar side goes down, but I recall that one of the manufacturers was making them the wrong way where when you laid it out on the floor, the cut-outs were positioned where it would be soft-side down.  Hope they fixed that!

Offline Vintage66

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 10:55:15 PM »
Not completely.  The piece that goes under the rear seat is stamped out wrong.  The cutout for the little hump in the floor where the end of the fuel line clip comes through is on the wrong side.  The place I got it from has a pic of one on their website and it's wrong as well.  I pointed that out to them.  For what the stuff cost, it should be flawless!  I've done interior work on a lot of Mustangs over the years and I've also noticed that some of the pieces that lay over the transmission hump and extend across the rear floors have the holes for the seat belt bolts punched out in the wrong place.  At least it's all hidden.

Offline Vintage66

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
Just as a follow up, the car's interior is back together and the console looks great!  Very glad I added it.  Makes a huge difference in the appearance of the interior.   8)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 09:21:27 PM »
Where are ya'll getting the almost correct-looking sound deadener?  Does someone reproduce it?  Even if it's not totally correct, it beats what I have in my '69...nothing.  I need to find something to put in before installing the carpet.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Vintage66

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 09:47:43 PM »
I got mine at Snake Oyl Products.  They're in Texas.

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 10:31:08 AM »
Snake Oyl products spells it wit two esses.  I think I remember not being able to find it wit Google unless I put in Ssnake Oyl.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 10:24:46 PM »
Where are ya'll getting the almost correct-looking sound deadener?  Does someone reproduce it? ...........

Nope - if you want it you will have to make it. Snake oyl's is not the same - check out the other underlayment discussions
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 11:27:29 PM »
Snake Oyl products spells it wit two esses.  I think I remember not being able to find it wit Google unless I put in Ssnake Oyl.

Thanks!  I've heard the name, but probably would have assumed they spelled "snake" with one "s" too.
Too much junk, too little time.