Author Topic: 1966 Sprint 200  (Read 10767 times)

Offline jgidley12

1966 Sprint 200
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:10:31 PM »
Hello everyone...I am just new to this forum. Before I joined up I was reading a topic line concerning identification of the 1966 Mustang Sprint 200 and was quite intrigued with having owned two of them in the past. They were both coupes. I have owned my present 1966 Mustang convertible for two plus years and have some questions about it regarding the Sprint 200 issue. Although when I bought the car I did not know that the Sprint 200 also came with the manual transmission. I had thought they were all coupes. Before I bought and paid for this car I noticed it had an air cleaner which was chrome with a snorkel and the decal 'Mustang Powered Sprint 200'. I also did not know at the time that they also came with both snorkel and no snorkel air cleaners. So...I just passed it off as a previous owner just wanting to call his car a Sprint 200 and just decided to 'chrome' his normally dark blue air cleaner and add the decal. Now...after much research I am wondering  what I actually have. It does not have the wire wheel covers, the pinstripe or the console. What do you all think? Thanks.

Offline Pete Bush

Re: 1966 Sprint 200
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 04:36:56 PM »
The Sprint package was available to all three body styles; coupe, convertible, and fastback. I have a Sprint convertible. The fastback is the rarest.
All Sprints will have the chrome air cleaner, wire wheel covers, console, and pinstripping with the quarter accent trim delete. It was part of the package. Package A included the base 3-speed manual transmission for $39.63 retail and Package B included the automatic transmission for $163.40.  You could also upgrade your Sprint, just as you could any other Mustang, by ordering a Pony interior or wood wheel.
It’s possible that a previous owner may have simply placed a chrome Sprint air cleaner on your car if it doesn’t have the wire wheel covers, console and pinstripping. Or the wheel covers were replaced with another style, the console was removed and the pinstripe covered over by a re-paint. If the car has the 3-fingered quarter accent trim, then the chances are that it never was a Sprint. Sprints wouldn’t have had the trim. If it doesn’t have the trim then it may be possible that the other identifying features were removed. You’d have to remove the interior quarter trim and peer into the quarter panel area where the trim attaches to be sure that it never had any holes. Once you can confirm that, you’d have to inspect the transmission hump to see if there are any holes from the console.
You might also look for a build sheet. I found mine taped to the wire harness behind the speedometer. My research on build sheets seems to indicate the possible presence of a code in the last line, sixth box from the right.
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline jgidley12

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 05:38:35 PM »
Yes thank you. My issue here is really: what do I do? Should I just sand down the chromed air cleaner and paint it Ford Dark Blue with the rest of the engine...assuming it never was a Sprint 200?  The chrome is old and doesn't shine and the decal is cruddy looking and peeling at the edges. Also...some previous owner installed pony seat covers which look very nice front and back so could a previous owner have messed with the other stuff thinking he was just gonna dress it up his way? Hard to say isn't it? What would you do? I 'm most inclined I think to just sandblast the air cleaner and repaint it Ford Dark Blue.

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 06:19:26 PM »
The "telling detail" would be the quarter accent trim. If you have the trim pictured below, then you don't have a Sprint. If the trim is missing, it might warrant further investigation.

Offline jgidley12

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 07:23:41 PM »
My car does have the quarter panel trim you pictured. Is it too far-fetched to think a previous owner would have added them as a dress up item or thinking a previous owner had had them removed? Just wondering...

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 07:37:24 PM »
It's not far-fetched at all. A previous owner put 1965 quarter trim on my 1966 Sprint. But the mounting holes are different between the 1965 trim and the 1966 trim - and there were no additional holes in my quarter panel looking at it from the inside.

If your car has 1966 quarter trim on it, there's no way to tell whether it came that way from the factory or if a previous owner installed it. Right now the evidence looks like a regular 6-cylinder car that someone put a Sprint air cleaner on. If the air cleaner is an original factory version, it might have some value to another Sprint owner. Apart from that I guess you can just paint it blue. Also there should be a date code stamped in the air cleaner base that should approximate the rest of the sheet metal date codes.

Offline jgidley12

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »
Thanks very much for your input. I'm most inclined to think it never was a Sprint 200 but I'll always wonder...

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »
Don't forget to look for the build sheet in the car if it hasn't been removed by any previous owners...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline kevin1221

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 08:23:14 PM »
I have recently been contacted by an individual on another forum about locationg a sprint air cleaner for his 66 Sprint. I have just sent him a link to this thread in the event the OP wants to sell his.

Kevin
Kevin
Tampa FL
1966 Mustang Sprint 200ci Six - Automatic
Scheduled Build date : 7-7-66 - Dearborn
MCA Concourse Gold winner (Multiple)
MCA Conservator Award
AACA Sr Grand National 1st (Repeat)

Currently own 2008 Shelby GT

Offline jgidley12

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 09:41:07 PM »
I would of course sell it for the right price for I would have to purchase a new one myself; otherwise, I would probably just sandblast the chrome off and have it repainted blue. But contact me if anyone is interested in buying it. I could take some pics and send them.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 10:35:55 PM »
It's not far-fetched at all. A previous owner put 1965 quarter trim on my 1966 Sprint. But the mounting holes are different between the 1965 trim and the 1966 trim - and there were no additional holes in my quarter panel looking at it from the inside.

If your car has 1966 quarter trim on it, there's no way to tell whether it came that way from the factory or if a previous owner installed it. Right now the evidence looks like a regular 6-cylinder car that someone put a Sprint air cleaner on. If the air cleaner is an original factory version, it might have some value to another Sprint owner. Apart from that I guess you can just paint it blue. Also there should be a date code stamped in the air cleaner base that should approximate the rest of the sheet metal date codes.

If the holes were made by a previous owner, then I would guess that it's possible that the holes may be irregular or jagged.  If I remember right, the original holes on factory installed-quarters looked like they were made when the quarters were stamped.  Nice, clean holes.

Of course, it's possible that the quarters were replaced and then holes drilled for the emblems.  Which doesn't help the situation.

I think if one removes the quarter emblems and the holes are nice and clean looking, then the car most likely had them originally and therefore was most likely not a Sprint.

As far as the air cleaner goes, it is feasible that a previous owner swapped it out because it looked nicer than a painted one.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 64rustang

• Holland Patent, NY
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 12:42:21 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, didn't the Sprints also have the rocker trim?  Or, was part of the accent package?
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRAN
 65A        D        46       27E      22       3        6
VEHICLE WARRANTY NUMBER
5F07U148XXX

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 09:18:05 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, didn't the Sprints also have the rocker trim?  Or, was part of the accent package?

All '66 Mustangs except GT's and Shelby's had the rocker moldings.  It was std. equipment that year.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 64rustang

• Holland Patent, NY
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 08:34:09 PM »
Thanks for setting the record straight.
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRAN
 65A        D        46       27E      22       3        6
VEHICLE WARRANTY NUMBER
5F07U148XXX

Offline Pete Bush