Author Topic: 67 convertable underlayment  (Read 4601 times)

Offline DEWilson

• Maine Mustang Back from the Dead Restoration Shop
67 convertable underlayment
« on: June 20, 2011, 02:52:55 PM »
Hi  looking for some pic of the origanl  67 converable all the floor underlayments 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 convertable underlayment
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:12:58 PM »
Interested in the shape of each piece or a cross section to get an idea of how its made?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 12:04:42 AM »
Regarding Jeffs response I'd like to see both. Shapes and make-up.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:23:25 PM »
Regarding Jeffs response I'd like to see both. Shapes and make-up.

The make up would be the same or similar to what was reproduced in this article posted on this site

http://www.concoursmustang.com/filevault/Articles/Article_Trunk_Underlayment.pdf

Same stuff was used over your gas tank

Checked and I don't have any pictures of the floor underlayment on a carpet - its either covered with carpet or nothing
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 01:28:19 AM »
Jeff very nice article. Wish there was a way to enlarge the pics so as to see it better. By the way the few converts I took apart in the 80's did have this type of material on the floor pans and transmission tunnel, floor pans rear and I believe under the rear seat as well.  Wish I had documented it back then and not just thrown it out. Here is a piece of the material I've been saving for my car. Can't figure out if its from a 68 or a 70 Boss 302 or possibly out of a mid eighties Dodge XXXLong passenger van (made a great cheap tow vehicle when i raced so no jokes).

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 04:47:24 AM »
Looks like from the van
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 11:19:14 PM »
Ok i'm going to try making the composite. i have a set of the snake oyl jute and asphalt type covering. I also have an old set of thick rubber sheets I purchased from snake oyl back in the eighties. I will glue these together and forgoe having to tear some of the jute off a second set. The question I have for you Jeff is are you heating the stckey black side of the jute composite is so that you use it as the glue to attach the kraft paper? I believe you trim the craft paper once it is adheared onto the pad?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:15:04 PM »
Ok I'm going to try making the composite. i have a set of the snake oil jute and asphalt type covering. I also have an old set of thick rubber sheets I purchased from snake oil back in the eighties. I will glue these together and forgoe having to tear some of the jute off a second set. The question I have for you Jeff is are you heating the sticky black side of the jute composite is so that you use it as the glue to attach the kraft paper?

We used spray adhesive to attach the jute to the second rubber layer (after we removed that jute layer) Then we heated the tar layer on the outer surface and applied the craft paper (one side at a time

I believe you trim the craft paper once it is adhered onto the pad?

We trimmed the composit (tar/jute/tar layers) sections then trimmed again after adding the craft but I think a better, sharper edge would be produced if we had left the cutting of the shape until the whole thing was assemble. We used some extra craft paper to make the cut pattern.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 09:31:08 PM »
Will give it a try weds. I may be back with more ?'s

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 08:35:59 PM »
Jeff I had to put the engine work aside as have a small issue with pulleys. Wrong one got installed during engine build. So that left me with a choice on how to spend this holiday and I decided to try the underlayment project. Not as bad as I would have expected and managed to get some help from my older son (he's ussually too busy with friends). I was fortunate that i didnt have to get two sets and strip the jute as I had a very old set of heVY snake oyl asphaltic/rubber ccompound underlayment along with a new set. It made for a very nice composite. The old mats were time consuming to heat up but heavier weight like the originals. Will post some pics later. Only need to add the oil but will hold off until a couple of days before install.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 10:33:25 AM »
Here are some pics of the composite underlayment done on Monday. Oil is the last step. Thanks Jeff for the tutorial on DIY. The 5 main pieces are done but I have one more left which snake oil referes to as "Transitional Piece" Supposedly it goes behind the rear seat. The old heavy weight set from the 80's didn't come with this piece and I dont remember a composite kraft paper type pad on the rear bulkhead. Floor yes but dont remember on the bulkhead. Maybe just jute? So Im wondering if I need to construct a composite or just use what was supplied by snake oyl with no paper covering?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:39:21 AM by 68 S Code »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 09:44:50 PM »
.................. I dont remember a composite kraft paper type pad on the rear bulkhead. Floor yes but dont remember on the bulkhead. Maybe just jute? So Im wondering if I need to construct a composite or just use what was supplied by snake oyl with no paper covering?

On 67's I've only seen them all the same  - as cut from the same bulk sheets and by the same supplier. Saw an original one (over the top of the rear end area on a fastback) and it was the same multiple layer with the dark paper finish
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 10:53:51 PM »
Well my project is a 68 and a convertible. Just can't remember that far back. What have you seen regarding that model and year.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 12:15:04 AM »
Well my project is a 68 and a convertible. Just can't remember that far back. What have you seen regarding that model and year.

No real room to put one on a convertible (transistor over the rear end area) I believe

Here are some coupe examples - no real good picture of the shape - just that it was commonly there

Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »
Well lets see how the WIFI works up here in the wilds of northern wisconsin. The first pic you show jeff is exactly the area in question and you show a convert. Doesnt seem too be any evidence of a pad on this bulkhead area (the verticle metal with the pocket for the power top pump and seat back. Looked at the assembly manual for interior and on page 49 the pad is shown below the rear package tray but it is on a coupe and even refered to as part C8ZB-65. So at this point I believe thios piece does not apply to a convertible.