Author Topic: 1966 Hood Molding  (Read 5927 times)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
1966 Hood Molding
« on: June 18, 2011, 09:37:48 PM »
I just bought a Daniel Carpenter 1966 Hood Molding to replace my somewhat worn OEM unit.  I could not slide it on, so I had to slightly open up the opening.  Once done, I was able to install it, albeit with difficulty.  The forward peak did not match the hood, and the lip does not fit the hood like the OEM version.  The screw holes were offset about 1/4 of the screw hole width on the driver's side, although the left side fit reasonably well.

This unit was advertised as using Ford Tooling.  You could have surprised me; it was more like your typical repro quality.  I do not recommend this unit for those that want a quality fit.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: 1966 Hood Molding
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:06:05 AM »
That's pretty unusual.  We have sold quite a few, and I have installed a few that fit like a glove on original hoods.  I have been very pleased with them.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:12:03 AM »
I have been VERY impressed with the Scott Drake reproduction parts I've used on my '65.
ie: the beutiful tail light bezels among others (bought from Brant & co. at VA Mustang!!)
I wonder IF whatever Carpenter is selling is something other than the Scott Drake part.
I just wish the SD moulding was available when my car was restored-it would have prevented me from spending $100.00 for a nos moulding with shelf wear showing.

Offline 66GTCoupe

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:02:18 PM »
Gt makes most of this junk

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:12:06 PM »
Gt makes most of this junk

Well, I for one have absolutely NO idea who "GT" is and besides that I personally would like to know how a relitive "newbie" to the forum knows this and/or can you substanciate your claim with rock solid proof that they ("GT") makes most of the junk????

I don't think that Brant at VA Mustang or Rick at NPD choose to carry Scott Drake parts just for giggles.....

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:00:40 AM »
This hood molding is made by Carpenter in the original Ford Tooling.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:29:02 AM »
This hood molding is made by Carpenter in the original Ford Tooling.

Wow!!! I learn something new each day-didn't realize that Carpenter, not Drake made the new Ford Tooling mouldings.

BTW:Is there a way to tell what moulding I have in my hand to identify a dime-store repro v/s a Carpenter repro v/s an original/nos? do the originals have a part number on the back?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 10:49:38 AM »
No markings, but I bet the weight is different.

Daniel Carpenter has been making a lot of repro parts on original tooling lately.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 01:12:40 PM »
No markings, but I bet the weight is different.

Daniel Carpenter has been making a lot of repro parts on original tooling lately.

Thanks Charles! Great to know. So is there a friendly competition between Carpenter and Drake?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 03:25:43 PM »
Thanks Charles! Great to know. So is there a friendly competition between Carpenter and Drake?

I have no idea about if they compete with each other.  I don't think DC sells to the public, usually have to have a business account to deal with them.  Maybe the same for SD, I don't know.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 07:19:21 AM »
Thanks! I was really meaning a competition in the actual making of the Ford Tooling Parts, and not sales.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 09:16:02 AM »
Thanks! I was really meaning a competition in the actual making of the Ford Tooling Parts, and not sales.

I'm not aware of SD making parts on original tooling.

Offline 69bossnine

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 10:45:51 AM »

C5ZZKGT, I might be able to make things a little clearer, or I might just confuse you further, but here it goes anyhow...

Scott Drake and Daniel Carpenter are friendly "somewhat"-competitors... They both manufacture and/or distribute a ton of reproduction parts at a wholesale level, but the array of products they offer differ substantially. This entire industry is so intertwined from a supply standpoint, that you can't afford to make enemies.

You're probably seeing a ton of "Ford Tooling" products in Drakes catalog or website, and making the false-assumption that they are affecting the manufacture of those parts. They are not (to my knowledge) manufacturing anything from Ford Tooling, they are simply buying Ford-Tooling products from whatever/wherever the manufacturing source may be, and re-selling them, in the spirit of carrying as complete and comprehensive a product-line as possible. If Drake is doing any Ford Tooling stuff, I welcome correction.

IN GENERAL, all of the Ford Tooling dash pads come from Universal Urethane in Las Vegas (Dashes Direct), all Ford Tooling stamped-sheetmetal comes from Gerstenslager in Wooster Ohio, and most everything else (with exceptions) is pretty-much either manufactured by Daniel Carpenter, or the Tooling is out-sourced by Daniel Carpenter. Carpenter's facilities have an impressive range of manufacturing capabilities. And over time, Carpenter has made the commitments and transport/storage investments to accumulate enough Ford Tooling sets to sink an aircraft carrier. He's got the market cornered on old Ford Tooling, some serviceable, some maybe not.

Drake's typical M.O. is to engineer/research/manufacture new toolings, either in the U.S. or overseas depending upon the product. If you met with them, you'd find the dedication and ethics to be sky-high, even though they get some criticism from time to time. I attribute some of that being due to the fact that not everything that comes in Drake packaging is actually proprietary to Drake, which is where brand-marketing can make things confusing to the individual hobbyist. Hope this helps!!

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 02:49:20 PM »
Rick, Thanks very much for this!! It does clear things up for me!

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »
Scott Drake is making his directly from NOS Parts or Perfect Originals. Otherwise, he won't do it.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs