Author Topic: Shrunken Dashpad  (Read 213 times)

Offline Shelby2000

Shrunken Dashpad
« on: October 16, 2024, 05:53:15 PM »
I picked up a pristine original dashpad for my '68. Upon installing it, it seems to have shrunk along the top edge that is underneath the finish trim. About 1/2 inch on either side, so the screw slots get progressively worse moving out from the center. The rest is fine. Any recommendations on how to "stretch"? Would heat worsen it? Installing as-is, while possible, will show a noticeable gap.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Shrunken Dashpad
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2024, 11:10:48 PM »
After 50 plus years, that - unfortunately  - is normal. I had a red 66 dash with the same shrinkage (although in my case, it was warped ends) problem. I used a reproduction.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2024, 09:07:55 AM »
Are the studs at the bottom still in place? If they are torn out it may have shrunk too much to be used. The cut outs on top for the screws can be recut. I put the pads in the sun on a hot day to gently warm them up. Often the speaker area is warped so I put a few dabs of clear silicone on the metal dash then install the pad and weight the speaker area with something flat overnight.  You will need to try to stretch the ends outward and down to get the studs in the dash holes. The next challenge can be installing the dash cluster. You may need to use a hair dryer to heat the bottom of the dash pad to get it in place. Once you have done all of this, I have had good luck with them lasting. It might not be perfect, but it is still far better that the junk reproductions.   

Offline Shelby2000

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2024, 12:39:40 PM »
Thanks all. Fortunately the problem is only at the top; the rest fits well and the studs are intact and line up fine. I will try to finesse what I have; they looks so much better than repros that I have seen.