Author Topic: 8 inch center section  (Read 698 times)

Offline Azdriver

8 inch center section
« on: October 07, 2024, 02:17:04 PM »
What is the possibility of finding an 8 inch third member or case with 6B or 6A cast date?
Should I just use what I have? (3J3)

What would a correct case look like? Horizontal ribs???

Update, picture of rear in my car. Is it possible this is the original one???

Thanks, Pat
« Last Edit: October 07, 2024, 10:08:38 PM by Azdriver »
69 Mach 1 R code
66 GT coupe
68 GT500

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 8 inch center section
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2024, 12:11:39 AM »

Of course check the casting dates on the center section and pinion retainer
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Azdriver

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2024, 08:24:23 AM »
Thanks for the pictures. It appears the center section in my car is the correct type. I have doubts about it being the original one as the car was built in March of 1966 and the cast date is 3J3.

Pat
69 Mach 1 R code
66 GT coupe
68 GT500

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2024, 04:04:32 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. It appears the center section in my car is the correct type. I have doubts about it being the original one as the car was built in March of 1966 and the cast date is 3J3.

Yep  :)   Doesn't sound like a match
Jeff Speegle

Offline Azdriver

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2024, 08:27:15 AM »
I am encountering a bunch of pushback on this rear end. Several people I have talked to are against rebuilding it. They all tell me they are weak junk.. Should use a later case. Does no one restore the rear center sections in 66 Mustangs? Does everyone swap them out for later parts?? Do they break all the time? I don't know a single person who has ever broken one...

Pat
69 Mach 1 R code
66 GT coupe
68 GT500

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2024, 01:53:17 PM »
I am encountering a bunch of pushback on this rear end. Several people I have talked to are against rebuilding it. They all tell me they are weak junk.. Should use a later case. Does no one restore the rear center sections in 66 Mustangs? Does everyone swap them out for later parts?? Do they break all the time? I don't know a single person who has ever broken one...

Pat

No they don't break over time. Ford built a million or more (likely many more ) vehicles with these same rearends and plenty have lasted all these years. Now if your talking them holding up behind a high performance engine and testing the limits its not a good choice. But this is a site focused solely on restoration and returning/maintaining cars as built so in that light its not a choice. Suggest you look to other forums if your thinking about building a modified car.

Not really much calling for a restoration shop that focuses on solely restoring third members. Normally its part of a larger restoration or people get them rebuilt and then restore them themselves. Some rebuilders will apply a coat of red oxide but would not call that alone a "restoration"
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2024, 08:02:25 PM »
I am encountering a bunch of pushback on this rear end. Several people I have talked to are against rebuilding it. They all tell me they are weak junk.
Depending on your type of driving, an 8 inch rear end is fine. I still have two Mustangs with an 8 inch setup and they do just fine. If you are going to "race", go to a nine inch. Otherwise, stay stock, stay under the speed limit and enjoy driving.
As to those in the "pushback" crowd, ignore them. And as Jeff say, this is a Concourse forum.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Azdriver

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2024, 09:02:58 PM »
Just working on a stock A  code 4 speed car. I have been told the issue with the older case design is that they tend to flex and the gear setup to change causing gear noise. For this reason most rear axle guys don't want to set them up. If the rear axle I have was the correct date code for the car I would put more effort into rebuilding it. At this point, I will probably look into just getting a complete pumpkin and swapping it out.. Plan is to go with the original 3:00 ratio and add a tracloc center section.

Thanks, Pat

69 Mach 1 R code
66 GT coupe
68 GT500

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2024, 09:24:47 AM »
Depending on your type of driving, an 8 inch rear end is fine. I still have two Mustangs with an 8 inch setup and they do just fine. If you are going to "race", go to a nine inch. Otherwise, stay stock, stay under the speed limit and enjoy driving.
As to those in the "pushback" crowd, ignore them. And as Jeff say, this is a Concourse forum.
Jim

Wow, after all of these years, I've heard a new theory on how gear noise can be produced. I think that you owe it to yourself to consult with some different experts.

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2024, 09:26:50 AM »
Just working on a stock A  code 4 speed car. I have been told the issue with the older case design is that they tend to flex and the gear setup to change causing gear noise. For this reason most rear axle guys don't want to set them up. If the rear axle I have was the correct date code for the car I would put more effort into rebuilding it. At this point, I will probably look into just getting a complete pumpkin and swapping it out.. Plan is to go with the original 3:00 ratio and add a tracloc center section.

Thanks, Pat

Sorry Jim, I inserted the wrong quote.

Offline lightwtjet

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2024, 10:09:26 PM »
I ran many tests at Ford to achieve a long useful life . 90% of axles should give you little to no gear whine at 100K. And no the axle case will not distort with the released engine. For restoration you can do a SEARCH =
The pumpkin and = for a well done story on here.
1968 CJ - Owner and paint original. Dec 67 build in Dearborn. One of 50 135 Cobra Jets. Ford engineering used it for 8 mos. to resolve problems in the 50 early car build. Ford by-passed the normal sign off to get cars to the Winternationals drag race.