Author Topic: 1970 "WINDSOR INTL COMP" Delivery Location Question  (Read 385 times)

Offline blondie123

1970 "WINDSOR INTL COMP" Delivery Location Question
« on: October 07, 2024, 12:31:03 AM »
I may have the rarest of all 1970 Mustangs and I need help with the "shipped to" entity. Let's see who is the most knowledgeable.
This car was identified at the time of sale as a 1 of 8 1970 Mustang (DSO 90) and we have owned this car since Feb 1971. (53.5 years)
The original buyer bought the car in a Ford Racing Division parking lot sale before they closed the doors in November 1970 and he owned the car for only a few months.
The original owner said that he had to wait for them to install the driver's side rear view mirror before he could drive it away.
This car is insanely fast and the only mods from us was to tone it down to be more civilized in normal driving. (namely cam, carb and manifold changes)
None of the painting on the car was factory available in 1970 (on not done by us or the original owner), the battery is in the trunk, the car weighs less than it should, it had the big Holley carb and it had the Minilite wheels (ala SCCA cars)
When we originally insured it, the car was listed as having 485 hp and that of course raised some red flags with our insurance agent.
My theory is that this car was pulled off the line to be modified to see what a 351C 4V could be modified to for the upcoming SCCA change from 5.0L to 5.7L to accommodate the new 350 LTI engine. (the 1970 SCCA Boss 302s did have the 351C 4V heads on them but of course they only had the 5.0L displacement)
My Marti Report does not list an ORDER or SOLD date and the car was released before it was scheduled to be finished.
According to the Ford original invoice, the car was "sold" on Jan 8 1970 and shipped to "WINDSOR INTL COMP" in "WINDSOR ONC" or about 5 miles away from the Dearborn factory.
So, the car was in limbo for around 8 months after leaving the Dearborn factory.

Challenge Question: What was the "WINDSOR INTL COMP" entity in "WINDSOR ONC" that the car was "sold to" ? (my guess is that this was a special division within the Windsor Engine Plant in Ontario, Canada)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2024, 04:09:47 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Welcome to the site. Hope you find the help and support you need in your concours related endeavors

Notice your post on a number of other sites looking for the meaning of where this car was sent to. Guess you have a Marti report and it includes more than just "WINDSOR INTL COMP" and "WINDSOR ONC"   Possibly an address?

With a DSO of 90 guess this was a Metuchen built 70 Mustang? Interesting use of the 90 DSO IMO if Ford was going to send the finished car to Canada which has specific DSO's. Maybe original plans got changed at some point after production

Not sure what you mean by "pulled off the line" means in your post. This suggests that the car was not completed. Would have to see some hard documentation to make that jump. Most cars that were used for testing were completed then sent to individual locations where modifications and testing took place after completion at the car plants.

Will take a while for me to look through other Marti reports to see if I have other cars that were sent there in my records.  Of course Kevin could tell you in a very short time for a few dollars.  Car sounds interesting though with all the changes through the years allot of details are likley gone or things have been modified beyond returning them without allot of documentation.  Not IMHO really the "rarest of the rare"  ;) given that there are  a ton of one of one cars out there once you sort them certain ways plus there were a fair number of test and other cars that were or are one of ones without getting creative with the options and details.

Going to take allot of work and or luck to figure out this one beyond just possibilities.

Good luck with your search

« Last Edit: October 08, 2024, 04:12:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online 67gta289

The original buyer bought the car in a Ford Racing Division parking lot sale before they closed the doors in November 1970 and he owned the car for only a few months.
The original owner said that he had to wait for them to install the driver's side rear view mirror before he could drive it away.

The process of the resale of Ford-owned used vehicles (marketing, test mule, executive lease) in the Dearborn area is something I'm very familiar with, first and second hand.   Something highly modified was generally assigned to be crushed (there are of course stories about theft, but that would be abnormal.)  The remainder would be slated for resale, for obvious financial reasons.   Ford has their fair share of lawyers, and good corporate governance would require that laws and statutes are followed.  If the case of resale, these vehicles would be processed and moved to the employee resale lot.  This lot physically moved periodically - it was merely a fenced in location with a triple-wide trailer.  There was automatic pricing based on MSRP and mileage.  The pricing was pretty much a no-brainer (a good deal).  When you found a car or truck that you wanted to buy, you would head to the trailer and go through the initial paperwork.  You would NOT drive away with a car, period.  There were no financial transactions made at the lot, period. Part of the paperwork was for you to select the dealer that you wanted to work through.  If it was a Cougar, you had to use an L-M dealer.  The car would be transported to that dealer, and you would go to that dealer to pick it up.  This is where you would get the car and do the title work, and pay for the vehicle.  Dealers are equipped for these things.  I asked the used car sales guy, and he confirmed that the dealer would get a set amount from Ford for handling the paperwork.

The Ford Racing division leaders, at the time your car was sold, were co-located at the Kar Kraft building on Haggerty Street.  This is the building that they were locked out of when Ford pulled funding.  There is insufficient space in this location for the B-lot. 

The titles for these company owned vehicles would not follow the car, they were managed in a totally different office and business unit, making the story that the original owner told you as most likely an embellishment of what actually happened.

The other nuance is that the name "employee resale lot" was not a misnomer - only Ford employees could purchase these vehicles.  There was also a stipulation that they could not resell for at least one calendar year, probably to prevent used car flipping.  The State of Michigan had set up family to family vehicle sales to not be subject to sales tax, so my brother who worked there would buy a car and sell to a family member, then a year later transfer the title at no fee.   The last car I bought there was in 1999, and by 2010 or so Ford had eliminated this employee benefit and directed all used vehicles to a local auction house.

Was the second owner (after Ford) a Ford employee? 

My guess is that the owner was a Ford employee, or he had a relative that was.  Perhaps they went to the Kar Kraft building and saw the vehicle, getting wind of it being about to be released for resale.  Then the Ford employee would go to the B-lot trailer with a box of donuts, and tell them to call him as soon as that vehicle showed up, so he can be the first on the list to buy it.  The mirror repair could have been done between seeing the car and the B-lot, or that could have been done at the dealer.  My guess is that it would have gone to the garage at the back of the WHQ (on Garage Rd believe it or not) where most of the Ford owned vehicle maintenance was done.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660