Author Topic: Best prices for cleaning taillight housing  (Read 490 times)

Offline jmlay

Best prices for cleaning taillight housing
« on: October 05, 2024, 09:35:05 PM »
If what I have read is accurate it seems these are cadmium plated. The plating is very sensitive to ph. I?m curious how others have cleaned the surface without causing further damaging the plating.
Mike

1969 Mach1 428 CJ Ram Air
San Jose
Scheduled Build: 1/2/1969
Actual Build: 1/3/1969
Released: 1/8/1969

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Best prices for cleaning taillight housing
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2024, 11:26:43 PM »
It was zinc plating.  The sockets should be knocked out before having the housings plated.  I use a thin wooden block to tap them out.

If you're trying to make originals better without re-plating, try soaking in rust911 or evaporust.  I'm liking the rust911 product better than evaporust these days and it's much cheaper.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

Re: Best prices for cleaning taillight housing
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2024, 03:56:35 PM »
It was zinc plating. 
To be more accurate, it was closer to "dull zinc" plated than "clear zinc" (shiny) plated.
The sockets should be knocked out before having the housings plated.  I use a thin wooden block to tap them out.
I use a 1/2 inch drive, deep wall socket to get the lamp socket out with "gentle force". (Sorry, I don't remember the exact size. I use one that fits the outer edge of the lamp socket.)
If you're trying to make originals better without re-plating, try soaking in rust911 or evaporust.  I'm liking the rust911 product better than evaporust these days and it's much cheaper.
If you have any rust spots on the housing, the use of Evaporust "may" make these spots more obvious.
(One "trick" I did on my 1966 daily driver was to spray paint the inside of the housing with chrome paint. It made the tail and stop light brighter.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.