Author Topic: R model back seat platform picture needed.  (Read 652 times)

Offline jsohc

R model back seat platform picture needed.
« on: October 05, 2024, 10:25:50 AM »
I just picked up a original and need pictures from the top and rear. Spare well has been cut off . Platform has holes and I want to make sure there is not to many.
Thanks Jack in Ga.
65 F.B pro Street
68.5 CJ Fastback C6 4:30
69 R code 4 sp Tilt
70 M code 4-sp CC shaker,spoiler,louvers
PINTO-428? Boss 429?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: R model back seat platform picture needed.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2024, 01:18:55 PM »
I just picked up a original and need pictures from the top and rear. Spare well has been cut off . Platform has holes and I want to make sure there is not to many.
Thanks Jack in Ga.

Do you mean make sure of not too many small screw holes or larger holes like for shock access? You said portion that covers trap door opening has been cut off?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jsohc

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2024, 01:44:46 PM »
Yes sir Big holes. The tire tub has been removed. Had a home made trap type door installed for racing. The guy I got this from had a race car way back then. I have some quarter glass trim and the surounds also.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2024, 01:47:07 PM by jsohc »
65 F.B pro Street
69 R code 4 sp Tilt
PINTO-428? Boss 429?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2024, 03:12:16 PM »
Yes sir Big holes. The tire tub has been removed. Had a home made trap type door installed for racing. The guy I got this from had a race car way back then. I have some quarter glass trim and the surounds also.
The holes were typically sized so that the stock Mustang shock access hole plastic plugs would fit the cutouts when servicing the rear shocks.  If they are any bigger, they are not what is seen as correct. Regardless of a race car past or not it does not help that the back piece was cut out. The way to tell if original or not is if it has a fiberglass weave mat material backing. This is typically seen on the back side of the spare tire well portion filling the trap door opening. That is a "tell" enthusiasts want to see.  In this case that is missing. With that piece gone it severely diminishes the desirability and perceived value. I have seen a lot of package trays modified that way by previous owners. It is not something that the factory did. Consequently, unless you make it whole again (time+$) the desirability is mostly lost. To me it is not worth the effort to fix it even if you got it for free given the perfect repros that are available from various vendors. Just my thoughts others may have different ones. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2024, 04:32:07 PM »
A picture of what you got now would be helpful. Also, many of the lower body pieces are common for Fastbacks, Hardtops and Convertibles. Your search may be easier than you think.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2024, 10:01:23 PM »
The subject of the post is what is called a package tray which eliminated the backseat of a 65 GT350 for it to homologate as a 2 seater for racing purposes. It came in all street 65 GT350's and competition 65 GT350's of the era.

Offline jsohc

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2024, 08:19:02 AM »
I do have the spare well also. It was cut off right at the turn up. It is a real one. It has the mat material not the hair.
65 F.B pro Street
69 R code 4 sp Tilt
PINTO-428? Boss 429?