Author Topic: 1966 bucket seat repair  (Read 102 times)

Offline BTclassics

1966 bucket seat repair
« on: Today at 03:28:27 PM »
1966 standard bucket seats. The entire interior is original - nothing has been replaced and still very nice. The car doesn't get driven much. We were taking the Mustang out for a drive, sat in the passenger seat and it split at the seam. :'( Any recommendations on trying to repair? I think having the 1 seat bottom replaced would look out of place with the rest of the interior. I tried contacting a mobile interior repair service and they don't work on classic cars. Am I out of luck or do I have to try to find another original seat somewhere?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 bucket seat repair
« Reply #1 on: Today at 03:37:49 PM »
Not sure if the measurements will provide a large enough panel to work with but have done it on other years so consider finding an original coupe back seat with one or more panels large enough to use as a replacement for bucket seat panel that is ripped at the seam. A shop will be able to do this with no problem.

Pretty easy and coupe rear seats can be found. The problem I found is that they have so little value and so large to store not many people keep them  ::)

Good luck with your search
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:19:57 PM »
1966 standard bucket seats.  We were taking the Mustang out for a drive, sat in the passenger seat and it split at the seam.
Not sure if the measurements will provide a large enough panel to work with but have done it on other years so consider finding an original coupe back seat with one or more panels large enough to use as a replacement for bucket seat panel that is ripped at the seam. A shop will be able to do this with no problem.
Most Mustang Supply Houses carry seat covers so that's not going to be a problem. If there are any nearby Mustang clubs, check with them for an upholstery shop, actually, any local car club may help. If you do go to a shop, replace the foam, also available from Mustang Supply Houses. Those seats are close to 60 some odd years old. The internals are standard burlap and hog rings. Consider doing both seats.
My first attempt was not too bad, the second was a lot (yes, it is two words) better. (It helps when your grandfather was an upholsterer.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline BTclassics

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:10:15 PM »
How close are the reproductions to the originals? I would probably have to do both buckets (uppers and lowers) to make them match. (Which is what I wanted to avoid.)
The original interior was really nice given the age. It was very upsetting when it split. I assume the vinyl got dried out. Not sure if a conditioner would have helped.

Using the upholstery from a coupe back seat for the repair is an interesting idea. Although trying to find one still presents a challenge.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:22:50 PM »
How close are the reproductions to the originals? I would probably have to do both buckets (uppers and lowers) to make them match. (Which is what I wanted to avoid.) The original interior was really nice given the age. It was very upsetting when it split. I assume the vinyl got dried out. Not sure if a conditioner would have helped.

Reproduction quality varies. There are a number of threads that compare or at least have comments and experience with one brand (makers not sellers) our another

Personally if you have a really nice original interior I would try and keep it. Once you start replacing one item the differences will start to be very noticeable. Now if your doing a complete regular concours restoration where reproduction items are allowed, then original material often looks out of place and will often get some attention due to age and wear related details.

If you do one seat, yes top and bottom then the passenger seat will likely look different since its made of different material, thickness and so on. Then it may be door panels, carpet and on and on

Using the upholstery from a coupe back seat for the repair is an interesting idea. Although trying to find one still presents a challenge.

Just depends. Found a 69 rear coupe seat at the first place I checked with. Places are more than happy to sell things that are very slow movers
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:56:13 PM »
In the picture, your seat looks black. Is that the color? If so, it's the easiest color to match. Again, do both front seats so the pattern matches. 
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline BTclassics

« Reply #6 on: Today at 06:43:38 PM »
Correct - it is black. (Picture is from when the split happened and hadn't cleaned it yet.) I would like to keep the original if possible.

Figured black might be easier to find. However, my initial search in my area turned up a blue coupe backseat. (I know they can be dyed but then it probably wouldn't match the rest of the interior.) Saw a couple bench seats and a ripped up core. Then I thought I lucked out - advertised as 1966 passenger side bucket seat only in good condition. But the center insert material doesn't match. Urgh. Will keep looking.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: Today at 07:47:19 PM »
Contrary to the "experts", I've had excellent success with seat covers I've bought from National Parts Depot (one of the top management types is a member of this forum - Scott302). I've bought the "deluxe" (aka Pony) that's in my 66 hardtop (it's black) and a standard black front set in my 65 GT Fastback (see below - that car has been in 15 different calendars). NPD advertises two different suppliers, TMI and Distinctive. Don't fall for the "hype". Select and get it done.
Jim