Author Topic: Correct Inner Fender Service Decal  (Read 72 times)

Offline BTclassics

Correct Inner Fender Service Decal
« on: September 29, 2024, 02:33:25 PM »
1966 Mustang 2+2 Fastback - San Jose Assembly Plant. Really original car and has never had a full restoration. I think the engine compartment was detailed in the 1990s. After the radiator let loose last year, it sprayed everything with antifreeze and is in need of a cleaning. I decided to re-finish the engine compartment and do some detailing with leaving the engine in the car. I already bought a replacement decal kit. There was a service decal on the inner fender - it looked like the replacement with more of a silver/gray finish. However, when I started disassembling everything, I could see a decal under it. So I peeled off the top decal and this is the decal I found under it. It is much more of a reflective silver than the replacement. (I tried cleaning it up some and made it worse.) I didn't try to remove this decal yet, but there doesn't appear to be another. So I'm now wondering if this was the original service decal. If so, does anyone reproduce this reflective one?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Correct Inner Fender Service Decal
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2024, 06:43:20 PM »
1966 Mustang 2+2 Fastback - San Jose Assembly Plant. Really original car and has never had a full restoration. I think the engine compartment was detailed in the 1990s. After the radiator let loose last year, it sprayed everything with antifreeze and is in need of a cleaning. I decided to re-finish the engine compartment and do some detailing with leaving the engine in the car. I already bought a replacement decal kit. There was a service decal on the inner fender - it looked like the replacement with more of a silver/gray finish. However, when I started disassembling everything, I could see a decal under it. So I peeled off the top decal and this is the decal I found under it. It is much more of a reflective silver than the replacement. (I tried cleaning it up some and made it worse.) I didn't try to remove this decal yet, but there doesn't appear to be another. So I'm now wondering if this was the original service decal. If so, does anyone reproduce this reflective one?
ECS  https://ecs-automotive-concepts.myshopify.com/  sell the most authentic original decals, stickers ,tags etc. that you can typically buy. This is not to imply that everything they say or sell is perfect but overall the best out there.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline BTclassics

Re: Correct Inner Fender Service Decal
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2024, 06:58:09 PM »
Thanks Bob. I think it 'looks' like the replacement I have (will double check). I was just curious if the one in the picture was the original or not. Information seems the same, but was surprised how reflective the silver was. (Unless that was because in trying to clean, I took off a duller finish.)