Author Topic: 68 Low Note Horn with AC - Mounting?  (Read 970 times)

Offline VXH

68 Low Note Horn with AC - Mounting?
« on: September 21, 2024, 04:22:23 AM »
Hello All,

I have 2 original horns 1 Low and 1 Hi. The confusing part is the Low Note has 2 tabs (AC car) and I can't remember how it attaches. (didn't take that photo)  If it had 1 tab in the middle like the passenger side Hi note it would be easy. The dual tab is throwing us off. Quite a few sites show the aftermarket Low notes FOR AC CARS with 2 tabs so it seems there is way.  Thanks in advance.

https://www.kentuckymustang.com/horn-low-with-a-c-lh-1967-1968-daniel-carpenter.html

Offline ruppstang

Re: 68 Low Note Horn with AC - Mounting?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2024, 09:20:40 AM »
The AC low horn mounts on top of the driver's side of the condenser coil. If the horn, you have pictured is yours the bracket is bent. A set of assembly manuals will be a great help when you are reassembling the car.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2024, 01:17:18 PM »
The AC low horn mounts on top of the driver's side of the condenser coil. If the horn, you have pictured is yours the bracket is bent. A set of assembly manuals will be a great help when you are reassembling the car.
To add for hopefully more clarity the horn bracket mounts in the channel of the condenser support. The wide section on the horn goes in the channel and the two "tabs" hold it from moving side to side.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2024, 08:09:32 PM »
To add to the confusion, I'll invoke Ford "numbers".
The original horns specified in the 1968 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual (AM0023) are:
C7ZF-13802-E for the STANDARD low horn (ref pg 8);
C7ZF-13802-D for the "Air Conditioning" application (ref pg 76) which is what you are looking for; note the different "dash" letters;
This is where it gets "messy".
The 1968 Ford Car Parts (aka the infamous MPC) uses a "kit" for service replacement horn (B8AZ-13833-B - note the "B" prefix which is a 1950 era designed Ford part, and the base number change from "13802" to "13833), which specifies a lot (yes boys and girls, it IS two words) of different "brackets" (read adapters) and a standard "full size Ford" horn with a different base number - C7AF-13A803-A, which includes a "support" (not specified).
In other words, use the original and don't consider the Ford service replacement.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline VXH

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2024, 09:18:39 PM »
Thank you, the tab is bent and thank you Bob for the additional clarification.

Jim, I had the same word salad experience with the MPC so I came to the forum ;-)

I should be able to get across the finish line with everyone's input.

Much appreciated!!

Seth

Offline VXH

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2024, 03:29:14 AM »
Here are a couple of photos that I found. Do these look correct?

Thank you,

Seth

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2024, 09:18:30 AM »
Looks like you have it correct. Your car looks like a California Special or an HCS.

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2024, 01:29:38 PM »
Here is a close up photo I took of the unrestored car I sold earlier this year where you can see how its mounted and the holes where it would normally have been mounted in the background without AC.  Picture is on my website.

2024-09-22_9-23-23 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline VXH

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2024, 03:08:21 PM »
Perfect, Thank you to ALL

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2024, 11:14:22 PM »
Hello All,

I have 2 original horns 1 Low and 1 Hi. The confusing part is the Low Note has 2 tabs (AC car) and I can't remember how it attaches. (didn't take that photo)  If it had 1 tab in the middle like the passenger side Hi note it would be easy. The dual tab is throwing us off. Quite a few sites show the aftermarket Low notes FOR AC CARS with 2 tabs so it seems there is way.  Thanks in advance.

A little late to this discussion - sorry. There were at least a couple of pictures of this detail in the 68 section of the Unrestored Picture threads if you had tried there.  ;)

In any case for you and others later who will find this thread here are a few unrestored examples showing the attaching end of the drivers side horn on a factory AC car

For the record if it matters, the two upper examples are San Jose cars. The bottom two from Dearborn examples

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline VXH

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2024, 12:25:25 AM »
Thanks Jeff

For clarification, I am working on a 12/67 Dearborn car.