Author Topic: Convertible Top Hydraulic System Bleeding  (Read 59 times)

Offline jackhodges

Convertible Top Hydraulic System Bleeding
« on: September 20, 2024, 11:20:54 PM »
I have a Dearborn built 64.5 convertible. I am replacing the two convertible top lift cylinders, and I can't seem to get all the air out of the hydraulic lines. They're mostly on the bottom lines of the cylinders. Even if I loosen the fittings and have help to bump the motor, it seems to move the ram enough to leave an air bubble in the cylinder which then moves back to the line. I have the convertible top pealed back because I'm also replacing the back window, so I have plenty of room to get them completely out of the car. I am running these and trying to bleed them unmounted and laying on the back of the car. The pump is mounted, and the plug is out of the pump reservoir, I am keeping the reservoir full as I purge air but cannot get it all out. I have cycled the cylinders many times, but air still remains in those lower lines. I can't run them installed as I have not got the back curtain window back in yet.

Is it alright to have some air bubbles left in the lines? There has always been "some" air in the lines, but my intuition/experience tells me there should be no air in a hydraulic system. It just seems like while I have the access that I have, I should get all air out of the system.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Convertible Top Hydraulic System Bleeding
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:20:30 AM »
Some air bubbles in the lines are normal.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin