Author Topic: Ball Joint rivet installation  (Read 450 times)

Offline BHStang

Ball Joint rivet installation
« on: September 15, 2024, 09:16:09 PM »
Does anyone have some pictures on what tooling setup they are using to successfully install the control arm rivets?  I would like to be able to do this myself instead of sending out every set of arms.  The AMK rivets crush fairly easy but keeping them from bending sideways seems to be a real challenge.  Including 1 picture of what I have been using on my press thus far.

1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close
AC, PS, Power disk, Shaker, Rear Spoiler

Offline Big Al

Re: Ball Joint rivet installation
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2024, 02:03:22 PM »
Question - do you heat the rivet any before?
Al
1973 Mustang Conv and 1970 Mach I

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2024, 04:05:50 PM »
Question - do you heat the rivet any before?
Al
You shouldn't have to.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline BHStang

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2024, 05:31:52 PM »
They crush easy as its a soft metal.  The problem with heating is you are so close to the rubber dust boot, and cork gasket for that matter that if you got it hot enough to make a difference it would probably become an issue.  Or at least I would think.
1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close
AC, PS, Power disk, Shaker, Rear Spoiler

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2024, 07:18:49 PM »
They crush easy as its a soft metal.  The problem with heating is you are so close to the rubber dust boot, and cork gasket for that matter that if you got it hot enough to make a difference it would probably become an issue.  Or at least I would think.
You are correct ,heat will damage the rubber boots. Extreme heat red hot rivets like used to couple steel girders on skyscrapers is not necessary for this situation.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2024, 02:11:27 PM »
I think you need to build a very sturdy jig that doesn't allow the arms to move while you press in the rivets. Holding these by hand is not going to work.

You should probably make the jig adjustable (bolts) so you can adjust the amount of tilt in both directions (x,y) until you get it just right. You should also capture the top of the arms so NOTHING moves.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2024, 05:39:21 PM »
Only way to do it properly is to have a high quality press and the jigs and tooling need to be professionally made. I've seen a lot of cut corner set ups and you're just wasting your time. I had my tooling made probably 15 years ago and it cost around 2K then. Probably 200 control arms later its paid off many times.
There also is a learning curve even when you have correct tooling. Good to practice on metal scraps first.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America