Author Topic: 70 NJ Finishes Questions  (Read 370 times)

Offline Yellow r code

70 NJ Finishes Questions
« on: September 14, 2024, 07:14:07 PM »
1970 Mustang 428 R code made in New Jersey.
What is the proper color from my pulleys on my 428, the support hood latch - is it a gray color where it bolts to the core support and black on the lower section? Is the latch assy bare metal or black?  Are the shock tower - shock brace on top of the shock tower - are they the same color has the fire wall? The grill support color?   Thanks for the help 

I have worn out the search button with no help.  I'm still trying to find the pictures of the original cars under a tab. Can someone direct me in the right direction.

I'm coming from the Mopar world ( AAR ) There is a web site that breaks down every part on the car on how it's plated or painted and factor drawings on painting and decals. I guess there is no list here???????????????? It would be helpful it there was.

Thanks for all the help. I will be asking alot of questions in the future

« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 04:50:31 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: 70 NJ Finishes Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2024, 08:34:01 PM »
You should probably start with a year, assembly plant and  assembly date

Without we have it narrowed down to a few hundred thousand cars
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 04:51:09 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2024, 10:31:40 PM »
Welcome to the other side
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 04:51:00 PM by J_Speegle »
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2024, 04:49:58 PM »
Welcome to the site. Hope you find the support and information your looking for

1970 Mustang 428 R code made in New Jersey.
What is the proper color from my pulleys on my 428, the support hood latch - is it a gray color where it bolts to the core support and black on the lower section? Is the latch assay bare metal or black?

Allot of this information is already posted in threads and in the Library of the site but you are new and we'll give you some time to get comfortable with the search and just looking around and finding the resources here. Also we tend to suggest that questions are posted individually so each can be addressed that way, and it just makes adding to the thread about one details and finding that information later is much easier. All of the search engines are a bit wonky but they can still produce decent results most of the time, just have to play with the words in the search or the author if your looking for a post you have seen before and remember it.

There is no "proper" color of black for your pulleys other than semi-gloss black. Since they were painted different days at different plants a difference between each might be visible or given their location on a finished car that may be difficult to see. There are some pictures posted  in the earlier threads.

Since you have a NJ built car  there are no slop gray paint used on things like the hood latch support and shock tower supports (just two of the items) like on Dearborn built cars. Sure you have seen many of those on the internet and that is the problem. You see pictures of nice maybe correct cars but they don't supply when or where the car was built. NJ cars can be a bit more difficult than cars built at other plants since most often they were sent to places in the rust belt. Since the Boss 302's from that plant were sent across the country finding an unrestored one of those can often be a great help if you ignore the Boss specific details and focus on the similar one that make up all Mustangs built there

The hood latch assembly isn't bare steel its plated phosphate and oiled like a number of other parts on the car. There are really great threads on that subject and even how to do the plating yourself. Many people do

Are the shock tower - shock brace on top of the shock tower - are they the same color has the fire wall? The grill support color?   

All semi-gloss black on for these items (grill support, shock tower to firewall brace and firewall)  for your car and year but different finishes do to how the paint was applied and the differences mentioned above.  Of course you will not see all of the firewall since it will have a sealant coat applied over the base after specific items were installed.

I have worn out the search button with no help.  I'm still trying to find the pictures of the original cars under a tab. Can someone direct me in the right direction.

Main opening page, scroll to the bottom, under 1st Generation you will find a main header titled - Unrestored Picture Threads

I'm coming from the Mopar world ( AAR ) There is a web site that breaks down every part on the car on how it's plated or painted and factor drawings on painting and decals. I guess there is no list here???????????????? It would be helpful it there was.                                                                                                                                                                                 

Not sure if like Corvettes all Mopars were built at the same car plant but since Mustangs were (for most of the classic years) built at three plants it makes it more difficult since parts, practices and other details differ by plant, when the car was built and other guiding facts. Single plant cars would be allot easier to do guides for or if you just want to do a generic "restoration" for enjoyment or the local car show that can make it easier. That is not the focus here. There are other forums for those owners.

Things list detail list take often years to assemble then they would need to be updated monthly or at least yearly. Most of these come about by individuals that take on that task and then they are almost always focused on a specific year, assembly plant and drivetrain combination.  Have a draw of one on my shelf from someone else that is 3 inches thick and only covers engine compartment hardware for, I think, 65 Dearborn V8 Mustangs.

The reprinted factory assemble manuals are a good place to start for some of the details you mention but, again, they don't show what the plant workers or managers choose to do instead of what was planned or all the running changes that they dealt with through the whole production year.

In closing we suggest that you add a signature in your post. This can be done automatically and lets everyone know what your cars details, like when and where it was built, rather than having to include it by typing it time since you will be asked over and over again before responses to your question are often given

Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Yellow r code

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2024, 06:52:49 PM »
Thank you Jeff for the response you gave. I'm not trying to make a show car, but I'm trying to do it right, not half ass.  I bought this car out of Ohio 3 weeks ago.  The owner wasn't so honest with me, that's beside the point. I'm going to make it right along the way. One piece of time. That's why I'll be asking questions, all the info that everyone gives along the way will be appreciated. Thanks for everyone helping.