Author Topic: 65 fold down trap door latch nuts  (Read 554 times)

Offline kcodecoupe

65 fold down trap door latch nuts
« on: September 08, 2024, 09:14:29 PM »
Looking for replacement info for 65 F/B rear seat fold down trap door pressed in nuts for the latch assy where it bolts to the R rear trunk floor

Offline jwc66k

Re: 65 fold down trap door latch nuts
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2024, 12:39:01 AM »
Looking for replacement info for 65 F/B rear seat fold down trap door pressed in nuts for the latch assy where it bolts to the R rear trunk floor
You got me confused. so here's a copy of a page from "Ford Car Parts" (aka the infamous MPC) 75 ed (available in this forums library), illustration section 610, page 6, that shows the rear seat service parts for 1965-66 Mustang Fastbacks.
Now, can you be a bit more specific?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2024, 02:03:36 AM »
Took me a moment and a couple of reading the request. He's looking, I believe, for the two insert nuts that install over the fuel sender wire pass though hole on the passenger side of the trunk were the trap door arm attaches. From the undercarriage side they have a tall hex nut head. Couldn't locate  picture from that angle quickly so posting ones from the trunk side for now. This has nothing to do with the latch if I read the post correctly. Will correct thread title if that's right

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kcodecoupe

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2024, 10:10:58 AM »
Sorry for the confusion, yes Jeffs picture of the two threaded nuts just above the fuel sender wire gromet hole is what i am refering to thank you.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2024, 10:22:56 AM »
I believe the nut is Ford hardware part number 376903-S40, a 1/4-20 thread hex body (for retention).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2024, 03:00:45 PM »
I believe the nut is Ford hardware part number 376903-S40, a 1/4-20 thread hex body (for retention).
A follow on -
The "original" nut did have a hex body retention method. The replacement nut keeps the same Ford hardware part number and Ford Service Locator Code of "MM-120-BF", but is shown in the 1969 Ford Standard and Utility Parts Catalog (a Jim Osborn publication, AM0205) as having a round body, as if it uses a crimp type retaining method, like a pop rivet does. Several years back, I bought a "pop-rivet" type tool that is capable of crimping in "nuts". (I don't remember where I bought it.). If you are not in the thoroughbred class, this tool and 1/4-20 nut "may" work, depending on the original size of the hole.
Jim

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2024, 03:58:29 PM »
Another follow on -
AMK https://www.amkproducts.com/ sells a kit, F-934, that has 6 hardware items that you need, 2 nuts and 4 screws, 42741-S9 (2 ea) and 55613-S2 (2 ea) for $7.50. It is still listed.
Jim

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2024, 05:02:15 PM »
Another follow on -
AMK https://www.amkproducts.com/ sells a kit, F-934, that has 6 hardware items that you need, 2 nuts and 4 screws, 42741-S9 (2 ea) and 55613-S2 (2 ea) for $7.50. It is still listed.
Jim

Used these in the past, worked great.  These were installed after primer/paint at the assembly plant.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2024, 07:33:39 PM »
Used these in the past, worked great.  These were installed after primer/paint at the assembly plant.
Charles,
Any installation advice for the original poster?
Jim

Offline kcodecoupe

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2024, 09:21:16 PM »
Thanks guys those look like the ones ,as far as installing them just a guess  i think when the bolt is installed it crimps it tight to the trunk panel .when i worked at the ford dealership we used a crimp tool to install a similar type nuts on blind panels Chuck.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2024, 12:25:40 AM »
The external toot crimping die used on nuts is made from very hard tool steel. That's just about all I remember from the instructions or sales brochure.
Jim

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2024, 11:41:20 AM »
The external toot crimping die used on nuts is made from very hard tool steel. That's just about all I remember from the instructions or sales brochure.
What I neglected to include (I'm in the beginning stages of a bathroom remodel and sort of busy) was the use of a regular screw of the correct size "may" strip the threads of the screw and not fully crimp the (pop-rivet type) nut.
So, you need the correct tool.
Jim

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2024, 12:08:27 PM »
I have a rivet nut installing tool, looks like a blind rivet gun, but with different attachments.  There are videos online on how to do it without the tool.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2024, 06:19:16 PM »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kcodecoupe

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2024, 09:41:09 PM »
Thank you again im headed to harbor freight tomorrow for the tool , Chuck.