Author Topic: 1985 Mustang GT Hatch Struts  (Read 250 times)

Offline psessa

1985 Mustang GT Hatch Struts
« on: September 04, 2024, 06:30:47 PM »
Looking to replace my hatch struts. Does anyone know the original part# or where I can find an accurate replacement?

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1985 Mustang GT Hatch Struts
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2024, 07:18:29 PM »
Looking to replace my hatch struts. Does anyone know the original part# or where I can find an accurate replacement?
Try the parts department at your local Ford dealer. "Most" of them get a kick out of looking up parts for older cars (if they have the right books and the time).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2024, 07:36:05 PM »
The replacement was e3zz-61406a10-b for no spoiler, no louvers, no heated back light. E3zz-61406a10-a was replaced by F2ZZ-61406A10-A is the replacement for the rest.  If you search, you will come up with generic replacements on ebay. 85 could be either one since the spoiler was still optional in 85.

At one time there were several options depending if the rear spoiler or louvers were present.  The earlier cars used an E0ZZ-61406A10-C or E1ZZ  part number.  There was  company rebuilding them at one time but nothing shows up now.

I believe Suspa was the original manufacturer. Judging would catch the printed part number and the date code.  I would clean it off any new ones or make a simple black label to cover it.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline BobV

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2024, 09:36:05 AM »
Now that I am no longer as worried about MCA judges, I'll share...
Hatch struts must have the Ford part # in Concours. Anything original is toast by now. Get the GOOD repro?s and have a rubber stamp made. Cost was ~$15 at rubberstamps.net. For the ink you want Stazon Pigment Peacock Feathers ink (Amazon or hobby store) to print on painted metal.

You'll note my warped humor using 86 145 for a date code... On 1986 Saleen #145. Only 1 person ever caught on. ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 09:47:04 AM by BobV »
1986 Saleen Mustang
51k miles 98% original

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2024, 12:15:00 PM »
Some statements have been made that indicate to me that some people might not be aware of various class rules. I would hate to see anyone run off because of thinking that there are too high of expectations. Many people like to get as close as possible to original for their own personal satisfaction which is great IMO. FYI MCA trailered concours which is next to the toughest class to score high in compared to others does not typically require the trade markings or the date code on parts unless specifically specified in the rules which there are only a few examples. Most important is the look of the part and the finish it has compared to original. Trailered concours is a very popular class. Thoroughbred class which is the most difficult class to score high in first off does not allow any reproduction parts at all . Refurbished and or new original Ford parts only. That includes original tires ,batteries ,belts, hoses, cables, bulbs etc. If refurbished all parts are required to look as they did new from the assemblyline with date codes and mfg. trademarks etc. where applicable.    That Thoroughbred class might only reflect 1% of total cars entered in concours during a given season IMO. Kudos to those that think outside the box to make a replacement part appear closer to assemblyline. That is effort well spent IMO.  I don't want someone to think that a car is not concours worthy in any of the more popular MCA concours classes just because a part does not have a trademark or date code.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2024, 12:17:03 PM »
Now that I am no longer as worried about MCA judges, I'll share...
Hatch struts must have the Ford part # in Concours. Anything original is toast by now. Get the GOOD repro?s and have a rubber stamp made. Cost was ~$15 at rubberstamps.net. For the ink you want Stazon Pigment Peacock Feathers ink (Amazon or hobby store) to print on painted metal.

You'll note my warped humor using 86 145 for a date code... On 1986 Saleen #145. Only 1 person ever caught on. ;D
Great job.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline psessa

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2024, 07:36:57 AM »
Thank you everyone. Your help is greatly appreciated.