Author Topic: Whittek Heater Hose/Water Pump Clamp Question  (Read 582 times)

Offline Craners

Whittek Heater Hose/Water Pump Clamp Question
« on: September 04, 2024, 12:53:20 PM »
Application is 428CJ, June motor build, Later July car assembly.
The clamps I sourced from Marti are stamped 1 1/16?
The clamps used on block/water pump appear smaller OD and I believe are stamped 1 inch.
Is what I found on my car correct?
Attached are a few photos of the block by-pass hose assy.  Fairly certain that this is original. 
Any assistance is appreciated.
Thank you
Fran

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Whittek Heater Hose/Water Pump Clamp Question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2024, 01:13:03 PM »
Application is 428CJ, June motor build, Later July car assembly.
The clamps I sourced from Marti are stamped 1 1/16?
The clamps used on block/water pump appear smaller OD and I believe are stamped 1 inch.
Is what I found on my car correct?
Attached are a few photos of the block by-pass hose assy.  Fairly certain that this is original. 
Any assistance is appreciated.
Thank you
Fran
Sometimes the clamps on the bypass hose are different then the ones on the heater hose. The bypass hose is installed at the engine plant and the heater hose clamps are installed at the assemblyline plant. In this big block case once installed and painted the 1/16 OD difference is virtually indistinguishable. The same thing happens on earlier year smallblock but in that case the bypass hose clamp has a narrower band and the threaded screw is smaller diameter. Even in that case it is very hard to tell once installed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2024, 01:25:33 PM »
I would also mention in the case of the big block the factory special bypass hose although reinforced is a thinner wall then heater hose .The special reinforced thinner wall hose does not ballon out as much when the clamp is tightened down compared to heater hose made bypass. Ether hose will work but sometimes (not always) a heater hose made bypass can be distinguished as such by informed enthusiasts.  The bypass hose bulging is way noticeable then a 1/16 OD difference in a clamp diameter. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Craners

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2024, 02:10:22 PM »
Thank you.
Based on your comment, 1 inch is possible factory install.
I checked my heater core hose clamps for this car. 
Those clamps are 1 1/16?.
I did compare the by-pass hose to the heater core hoses. 
The ID & OD are the same. Appears to have the same reinforced hose type as well.

See attached photos
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 02:14:00 PM by Craners »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2024, 02:22:48 PM »
Does your bypass hose have a red stripe too?

Offline Craners

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2024, 09:41:55 PM »
I removed the clamps to see if the by-pass hose has the red stripe. 
No red stripe.
It does have a second white stamping mark.
That looks similar the Fomoco with rectangular surround. 

It does have rib striping in the rubber, but not the same rib striping as the red stripe heater hose. 
See attached photos.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2024, 11:14:47 PM »
I removed the clamps to see if the by-pass hose has the red stripe. 
No red stripe.
It does have a second white stamping mark.
That looks similar the Fomoco with rectangular surround. 

It does have rib striping in the rubber, but not the same rib striping as the red stripe heater hose. 
See attached photos.
Although the bypass I have seen are more typically a thinner wall the fact that the hose does not have matching red stripe and is solid black like all of the original and NOS FE bypass that I have seen (not that I have seen them all) suggests to me that it has most likely not been replaced with a commonly fabricated heater hose by pass like most.