Author Topic: Operational Lamp Warning Buzzer ?  (Read 537 times)

Offline fizzsnob

Operational Lamp Warning Buzzer ?
« on: August 29, 2024, 04:03:55 PM »
Does anyone have a lamp warning buzzer (C6AZ-14931-A) that still works?

I have gone through three, never installed NOS buzzers, and none of the work. I pulled apart one of the metal cans, and it's not entirely clear to me at the moment why it's not working... That will be a task for this weekend.

Does anyone have one that actually works? Does anyone have the schematics for the thing before I spend the time to figure it out?

Thanks !

Mike

« Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 07:45:13 PM by fizzsnob »

Offline jwc66k

Re: Operational Lamp Warning Buzzer ?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2024, 12:14:33 AM »
What year Mustang? Are you aware of the Mustang Assembly Manuals? There is an electrical manual for every year from 1964 thru 72.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline fizzsnob

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2024, 02:46:11 AM »
So,  this is a Ford accessory that should work with almost every year Mustang after 65.

The point is that all the ones I have found that still exist do not work.  There must be something about them that has aged out and prevents them from working.

I have torn one apart, and it's a clear example of early 60s engineering. Its primitive. If no one else has figured this out yet, I'm going to go figure out why it no longer works.

Mike

« Last Edit: August 30, 2024, 12:31:12 PM by fizzsnob »

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2024, 05:19:30 PM »
A pic of the guts would be useful. And how many pins does it have?

Here is one I found online:
http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/images/Lightsds12.jpg

It might also work a bit like your car's horn. Switched (+) to an electromagnet that pulls a small diaphragm in. Out when the electromagnet has pulled in all the way which then contacts a set of points that breaks the connection. Back and forth it goes making a buzzing sound.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 05:24:17 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline fizzsnob

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2024, 01:04:10 PM »
A pic of the guts would be useful. And how many pins does it have?

Here is one I found online:
http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/images/Lightsds12.jpg

It might also work a bit like your car's horn. Switched (+) to an electromagnet that pulls a small diaphragm in. Out when the electromagnet has pulled in all the way which then contacts a set of points that breaks the connection. Back and forth it goes making a buzzing sound.

Here is what the inside looks like...

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2024, 07:28:02 PM »
Here is what the inside looks like...
Take a look at the contacts and see if they are "fused". Try and separate them "gently". And some continuity checks would also be helpful. Otherwise - round file.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2024, 08:07:55 PM »
Take a look at the contacts and see if they are "fused". Try and separate them "gently". And some continuity checks would also be helpful. Otherwise - round file.
Jim

I would use a flat file on the points. Haha

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2024, 11:33:43 AM »
And some continuity checks would also be helpful.

^^ This will tell you if it's the buzzer or something in your car's wiring!

Mine (a '70 Cougar) had a compound issue: the buzzer had an open in the coil right where it is soldered to the main wire.  I was able to solder it back together and get good continuity.  However, I also found that the PO had cut the wire for the key buzzer at the turn signal switch connector.  Luckily I was able to re-pin that wire and insert it into the connector again.  Buzzer restored to ...intermittent functionality >.< 
My remaining issue turned out to be a gunked up door jamb switch.  So it would work in warm weather but not in cold weather ~ even though the courtesy lights all worked fine all the time.

Anyhow, I hope that helps, and I hope you are able to get your buzzer working again!
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!