Author Topic: 1966 VIN on apron question  (Read 867 times)

Offline redmach69

1966 VIN on apron question
« on: August 14, 2024, 10:12:26 AM »
Hi guys I didn't know where to ask this so if it's in the wrong place I apologize. I have a chance to buy a 1 owner 1966 gt, But the car was damaged in the 70's and the forward drivers fender apron was sectioned so the exposed vin is gone, it is even worse in that it was sectioned with junkyard parts and the exposed vin is different from the door tag and title. I do not doubt the cars originality but my question is, is it acceptable to notch the passenger fender to expose the hidden vin, or the rear of the drivers side if it has one there.  It is obvious the front has been sectioned (1970's stick welding). Or is a state replacement vin and reconstructed title, with the resulting destruction of value the only option.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 1966 VIN on apron question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2024, 10:27:21 AM »
pics would help to decide.
5F09C331248

Offline redmach69

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2024, 12:01:39 PM »
Don't really have any pics of the parts in question, the car has been in a building with no electricity for over 25 years. I will say this the door tag is complete with proper rivets, and matches the title, the vin starts 6T07A the vin on the replaced fender apron is 6F07T so obvious different plant and engine.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2024, 01:16:51 PM »
Don't really have any pics of the parts in question, the car has been in a building with no electricity for over 25 years. I will say this the door tag is complete with proper rivets, and matches the title, the vin starts 6T07A the vin on the replaced fender apron is 6F07T so obvious different plant and engine.
At the very least I would have to make the incorrect VIN on the replacement apron disappear. Touchy deal.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2024, 01:24:10 PM »
Hi guys I didn't know where to ask this so if it's in the wrong place I apologize. I have a chance to buy a 1 owner 1966 gt, But the car was damaged in the 70's and the forward drivers fender apron was sectioned so the exposed vin is gone, it is even worse in that it was sectioned with junkyard parts and the exposed vin is different from the door tag and title. I do not doubt the cars originality but my question is, is it acceptable to notch the passenger fender to expose the hidden vin, or the rear of the drivers side if it has one there.  It is obvious the front has been sectioned (1970's stick welding). Or is a state replacement vin and reconstructed title, with the resulting destruction of value the only option.
No not in a concours setting (with my judges cap on). It would look extremely unusual and be the source of endless negative speculation. I would think that a blank apron with a picture of the correct hidden vin to show as proof would be the best course of action but that is just me. This car would have to be special or a extremely good price to justify all of the hassle IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2024, 01:30:25 PM »
There are actually three locations for the stamped VIN on the fender aprons - the "exposed" one on the left side, a second stamping about 8 inches further back on the fender apron near the LH hood hinge, normally covered by the fender, and a third on the right hand fender apron near the RH hood hinge, also covered by the fender.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline redmach69

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2024, 06:18:18 PM »
Thanks Bob for the reply, thanks jwc66k I understand where the hidden vins should be, hence my question about notching the fender to expose them.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2024, 07:45:01 PM »
Thanks Bob for the reply, thanks jwc66k I understand where the hidden vins should be, hence my question about notching the fender to expose them.
The name is Jim, and I make it a point to sign my posts.
DO NOT NOTCH THE FENDERS. Remove the 4 fender bolts near the hood hinges, don't forget the one hidden at the rear of the fender visible when the car doors are open, and then lift the edge of fender. You should be able to see the VINs.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline redmach69

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2024, 08:16:39 PM »
Thanks Jim, that's good info, I had read I would need to remove them.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2024, 08:23:06 PM »
Thanks Jim, that's good info, I had read I would need to remove them.

Only for inspection by state personnel or those (at a later date) looking to possible purchase said car. Agree that notching a fender is not an option IMHO. The same inspecting and looking for clues will likely take place to determine if the car is an original GT if the car is put up for sale also.  Hope your state is not one that will require a "visible" VIN stamping or your looking at a state issued VIN, extra tags and possible stampings or over stampings. No the door tag does not count - but there is always one DMV worker that doesn't follow the rules out there.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline redmach69

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2024, 11:45:17 AM »
Thanks everyone for the good info, I knew I could count on Concours Mustang.