Author Topic: Quincy compressor  (Read 1344 times)

Offline HDAshmore

Quincy compressor
« on: August 12, 2024, 09:34:28 PM »
Looking at getting a compressor to start doing my own work.  Media blasting, air sanders, painting etc.   Anyone have any thoughts on the Quincy brand.  THE GOOD THE BAD OR THE UGLY?

Thanks Dan in Kansas

Offline Drew Pojedinec

Re: Quincy compressor
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2024, 11:42:05 AM »
I have a QT-54.
Bought it 7 years ago.
Only negative is it isn?t a true 5hp and if running really heavy it?ll overheat.
I also have a larger Speedaire/Champion from the 1970s compressor and so use them both.

At work we have two QR-25 quincy compressors feeding 600ish gallon tanks. They are beasts, I love them.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2024, 12:26:36 PM »
I have Quincy 10 hp w/ dryer. Once you have one, you?ll never go back. Super quiet, super efficient. The only downfall is trying to find someone to service it. The certified technicians have to come from about two hours away and cost big money.  The good news is they don?t need much service   You can learn how to change the oil, filters, and do the other maintenance yourself
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2024, 10:03:56 PM »
Thank you for the responses so far.  I have heard quincy is a quality compressor and should run sanding painting and media blasting just fine using the QT 5 model 80 gallon tank.  Sounds like it's a good one short of convenient tech support?

Thanks for responses so far.

Dan in kansas

Offline Drew Pojedinec

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2024, 10:06:19 AM »
No direct experience with it, but the QT-5 looks like a true industrial unit.

Problems seem to pop up with unit like my qt-54 which are really just overclocked smaller units.
I bought it before I had a business, so I was more finance limited. Blasting especially is nothing but volume. More volume=faster work (assuming no restrictions).

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2024, 09:52:15 PM »
Thanks Drew. 

Offline pepperglenn

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2024, 12:57:51 PM »
I've got a QGS-5 with a dryer and I love the thing. Its a scroll compressor so its super quiet and it can run 100% continuously with no issue. Only had it two years but I haven't had a single issue with it.
67 Mustang Coupe- 390, GT, 4 speed, Dusk Rose,
66 Mustang Conv- 289 4bbl, GT, 4 speed, Nightmist Blue,
66 Mustang Coupe- 289 2bbl, Auto, AC, PS, Pony Interior, 8 track, Vinyl Hardtop, Special Order Paint- Dark Metallic Green
66 Mustang Coupe- 200, 3 speed, PS, Silver Blue

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2024, 12:58:57 AM »
Thanks for all the responses. I pulled the trigger and bought it.  Used but looks well cared for.

Dan