Author Topic: San Jose Cross member finish  (Read 958 times)

Offline ruppstang

San Jose Cross member finish
« on: August 11, 2024, 10:28:57 PM »
The MCA 67-68 rules say that the San Jose plant trans crossmember is finished in black paint. I am asking members to report what finish they have found on their San Jose cars.

My unrestored 68 HCS has a natural steel finish.

Offline Keith Stem

Re: San Jose Cross member finish
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2024, 11:48:28 PM »
Marty,

Based on the findings we may need a modification to the rule. Are all Metuchen braces Black? Maybe Black or Natural for San Jose. And will this affect the 67 68 Shellby's.

G. Transmission Cross Brace Support: Semi-gloss Black for Metuchen and San Jose plants. Natural Dearborn. Phosphate and oil attachment hardware.

Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2024, 12:56:58 AM »
65 66 Mustang crossmembers regardless of plant were painted black . Most likely because they were two pieces welded together and the welds will rust if not treated in some way. Possibly since 67 - 70 crossmembers are made from one piece of steel they did not need to be painted . At least that is one explanation. 67-70 trans crossmember small block or big block was typically bare steel regardless of plant. I for one have not seen or heard of any 67-70 variety unmolested that were painted black. If any were painted black it has to be a extreme minority.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 01:00:16 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2024, 06:04:46 PM »
65 66 Mustang crossmembers regardless of plant were painted black . Most likely because they were two pieces welded together and the welds will rust if not treated in some way.
Are you sure "two piece"? (Ref Ford base item "5026". I had a couple powder coated and I bead blasted them first. I don't remember two pieces.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2024, 06:53:32 PM »
Some examples to illustrate trying not to get off the original focus of the thread so we might separate this off shoot of a discussion  :)

65-66 all transmissions - 2 piece. 1 arm for the E Brake attachment

69 Manual and C4 cross member. This one was modified for the gear reducer attachment

69 FMX and C6 2 piece transmission cross member.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2024, 07:57:20 PM »
Jeff and I have had long friendly disagreement on painted vs. painted and what was typical factory. Painted was typical on service replacement parts so that they would not show rust on the shelves. That may explain some.  In this case as I said before if any were painted (that weren't service replacement) they are in the vast minority.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2024, 08:04:13 PM »
I would like information on unrestored San Jose cars or prerestoration pictures from San Jose cars.  I agree that many of the service parts were painted, where the assembly line parts were bare metal.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2024, 09:26:38 PM »
65 66 Mustang crossmembers regardless of plant were painted black . Most likely because they were two pieces welded together and the welds will rust if not treated in some way.

Have examples of '65 Dearborn cars not painted.  What about motor mounts with welds, they weren't painted black.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2024, 09:30:51 PM »
The MCA 67-68 rules say that the San Jose plant trans crossmember is finished in black paint. I am asking members to report what finish they have found on their San Jose cars.

My unrestored 68 HCS has a natural steel finish.

Marty:  The unrestored '68 that Marcus sold recently, a San Jose car, has a natural trans crossmember.  June '68 build.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-ford-mustang-225/

Specific pic:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-ford-mustang-225/

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2024, 09:38:53 PM »
Possibly since 67 - 70 crossmembers are made from one piece of steel they did not need to be painted . At least that is one explanation.

C6 trans mount was 2 piece, welded.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2024, 11:17:41 PM »

Have examples of '65 Dearborn cars not painted.  What about motor mounts with welds, they weren't painted black.
That's one. I wonder how common? The ones that I have seen in junkyards or swap meets back east are painted.

Offline kgranhold

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2024, 11:00:19 AM »
Most of the 68's I have had over the past 40 years have been SJ cars.  I have never seen a painted c4 crossmember on a 68 SJ car.  My question is there any evidence that they were ever painted?  I have never seen any.  Same with the SB alternator bracket, there seems to be more evidence to me that they were not painted rather than painted on SJ cars in 68.  I point to the car Marcus had, it also had an unpainted alternator bracket.  My point is that  when you start looking at unrestored cars, and they all have the same detail,  are they anomalies or are they the norm.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2024, 01:14:28 PM »
Most of the 68's I have had over the past 40 years have been SJ cars.  I have never seen a painted c4 crossmember on a 68 SJ car.  My question is there any evidence that they were ever painted?  I have never seen any.  Same with the SB alternator bracket, there seems to be more evidence to me that they were not painted rather than painted on SJ cars in 68.  I point to the car Marcus had, it also had an unpainted alternator bracket.  My point is that  when you start looking at unrestored cars, and they all have the same detail,  are they anomalies or are they the norm.
It only takes one example to spoil a absolute . There is always going to be that one guy. ;)   Typical and not typical has more wiggle room IMO.