Author Topic: Selling 67-68 Mustang parts and finding my expectations don't match results  (Read 1066 times)

Offline biggusGT

I have been advertising hard to find 67-68 Mustang options on Craigslist Orange County CA with little response.  Parts are in NOS to excellent used condition and in working order.  I have had great response in the past and sold many parts this way so I am puzzled as to the low response.  Have Mustang enthusiasts moved to other advertising outlets and I didn't get the memo?  On the other hand, I heard from one customer that parts buyers have dropped off recently.  in example, parts I am selling include tilt swing-away steering columns, floor and roof consoles, CCG components, NOS wheel lip moldings and rocker moldings, restored power brake boosters and steering boxes.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. Richard
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 07:52:25 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline 67gta289

I sell a lot, primarily ebay, but also FB Marketplace and word of mouth.  Craiglist has been worthless.  I try CL about once a year and then get re-enlightened.  You think I would learn.  Across all formats, I can say with confidence that June-July-August are the worst months for car part sales.  Many people are driving their cars.  There will be a ramp up from September to November, then dropping for December and January.  I figure this is because funding is redirected to Christmas presents.  Then it picks up steady in February and goes strong till May - people getting their cars ready for summer.   A mixture of factual cycling sales with a bit of guessing for the cause.  I'll sell more in one week in April than I do from June through August.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 07:52:02 PM by J_Speegle »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline biggusGT

Thanks for info John!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 07:52:09 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Need to fish where there are fish. Fish will only bite that see the bait  ::)

Not sure why your would focus on trying to sell high dollar items (just guessing here)  so locally unless you just don't want to deal with shipping but then you'll give up dollars for that choice.

Go to where the buyers are with a big wide net.

Remember that people interested in parts like your are scattered around the world and are not the majority of owners or builders.

Good luck with your choices.

Also welcome to the site - might want to post some or all of your parts in the for sale section with individual prices  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

I have been advertising hard to find 67-68 Mustang options on Craigslist Orange County CA with little response.
Richard,
The Concourse Mustang Forum has a better clientele than Craig's list (actually, most car specific forums do). If you got "quality" stuff to sell, advertise to the "quality buyers".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline fizzsnob

I have been advertising hard to find 67-68 Mustang options on Craigslist Orange County CA with little response.  Parts are in NOS to excellent used condition and in working order.  I have had great response in the past and sold many parts this way so I am puzzled as to the low response.  Have Mustang enthusiasts moved to other advertising outlets and I didn't get the memo?  On the other hand, I heard from one customer that parts buyers have dropped off recently.  in example, parts I am selling include tilt swing-away steering columns, floor and roof consoles, CCG components, NOS wheel lip moldings and rocker moldings, restored power brake boosters and steering boxes.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. Richard

What do you have for sale ?

Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
What do you have for sale ?

Mike

Mike suggest you re-ask this question in the PM system. By posting a response here will change the purpose and direction of this thread. If biggusGT chooses to post a list in the For Sale section with prices we invite that but depending on how much he has that might be a fairly decent size task

Just trying to keep these threads and site organized andneat  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline fizzsnob

Mike suggest you re-ask this question in the PM system. By posting a response here will change the purpose and direction of this thread. If biggusGT chooses to post a list in the For Sale section with prices we invite that but depending on how much he has that might be a fairly decent size task

Just trying to keep these threads and site organized andneat  ;)

Good idea :)