Author Topic: How to modify Gabriel front shocks to comply with ?driven exception? rules  (Read 1055 times)

Offline DaveF

A while back, I saw a post about how to modify Gabriel front shocks to comply with ?driven exception rules. It involved trimming them to a certain length as well as painting instructions. Now I can?t find it. Any help is appreciated.
1970 Mustang Mach One
428 SCJ w/Drag Pak 3.91
Metuchen plant
Built 9/5/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
A while back, I saw a post about how to modify Gabriel front shocks to comply with ?driven exception rules. It involved trimming them to a certain length as well as painting instructions. Now I can?t find it. Any help is appreciated.

Guess your asking about newer Gabriels not ones from the 60-70's. Haven't seen or looked at newer fronts but would think that you need to remove any decals, and fill any stamping in the body of the front shocks. Check the upper mount since allot of newer fronts seem to use the same loop with the 57 stamped on the top and easy tell. Strip them of paint before you fill the markings and paint them semi-gloss black in the retracted position, with the lower bushings and retainers off and over the upper bushing.

Make sure the lower retainers and bushings are correct   as well as the upper retaining bolts

Nice thing is that fronts are harder to see once installed and rears are more difficult to fake.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DaveF

Thanks Jeff. Do the side ?skirts? need to be shortened somewhat? I thought I remember reading that.
1970 Mustang Mach One
428 SCJ w/Drag Pak 3.91
Metuchen plant
Built 9/5/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Thanks Jeff. Do the side ?skirts? need to be shortened somewhat? I thought I remember reading that.

Not certain what your referring to as "Side skirts"
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
It is hard for many of us to keep up with every changing after market or reproduction parts. Working with original parts is what most of us are used to working with. With that said consequently if you post a picture of what you are working with it will then allow someone to make a suggestion of how to or at least advise to what the goal is supposed to look like.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline DaveF

I think that I was referring to the length of the outside tube. Side skirts certainly wasn?t a good reference. If I could get some shocks that are more correct, I would definitely be interested.
1970 Mustang Mach One
428 SCJ w/Drag Pak 3.91
Metuchen plant
Built 9/5/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
I think that I was referring to the length of the outside tube. Side skirts certainly wasn?t a good reference. If I could get some shocks that are more correct, I would definitely be interested.

Did we move from front shocks to rears?

Often the owner tube on those for aftermarkets are attached differently today. Never measured the length that I recall
Jeff Speegle