Author Topic: Nos 67-68 wheel well moldings(SOLD)  (Read 672 times)

Offline 68GT/CSconvmod

Nos 67-68 wheel well moldings(SOLD)
« on: July 16, 2024, 01:42:17 PM »
All 4 still in ford wrappers. $975.00 UPS included in USA 

All boxed up and ready to ship. All in good shape. Was extra set for the Shelby I sold.

No pictures did not want to take them out of the wrappers.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 07:22:42 PM by 68GT/CSconvmod »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Nos 67-68 wheel well moldings
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 02:16:51 PM »
After many decades sometimes corrosion starts to form underneath the clear anodizing of the moldings even in the wrappers. Fortunately this is only sometimes. The seller may not be aware of any defects because they are in wrappers. It is not out of the ordinary to find one or more out of a set to have minor corrosion defects once taken out of the wrappers. People who have restored multiple 68's using NOS moldings know this . Unless a seller wants to guarantee that the moldings do not have defects inside the wrappers a buyer takes a real gamble by buying the wheel moldings sight unseen IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 03:55:55 PM »
Agree, if there was an issue I'm sure the buyer and I could work out some form of little refund that would help pay for the repair time, if there is an issue. Have been stored in an airconditioned shop for some time now.
It would be no small job to do any kind of repair. A plating company that specializes in the "Brite Dip"anodize would have to strip the entire part ,repair and repolish the entire molding so as to blend in and then re anodize the molding using the "Brite Dip"process . Very few shops do the "Brite Dip" process  .  You can find them advertising Brite Dip in Hemmings. The Automotive industry uses it because it gives a brighter more vibrant finish then regular anodizing which is duller by comparison on a given aluminum molding.  This no doubt will be many hundreds of dollars to do one molding. Best to deal with things up front from the get go otherwise or it can get very complicated IMO.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 03:58:44 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 04:28:34 PM »
It would be no small job to do any kind of repair. A plating company that specializes in the "Brite Dip"anodize would have to strip the entire part ,repair and repolish the entire molding so as to blend in and then re anodize the molding using the "Brite Dip"process . Very few shops do the "Brite Dip" process  .  You can find them advertising Brite Dip in Hemmings. The Automotive industry uses it because it gives a brighter more vibrant finish then regular anodizing which is duller by comparison on a given aluminum molding.  This no doubt will be many hundreds of dollars to do one molding. Best to deal with things up front from the get go otherwise or it can get very complicated IMO.
I have done several of these and other trim parts, and it is extremely challenging without the right connections.  Very costly as well, but I'm fortunate to have an insider trading situation.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024, 05:26:14 PM »
In response to you stating that you were not going to show pictures of the moldings because they were already boxed up because you did not want to take them out of the wrappers I wanted to explain some good reasons to show them. It is best for buyer and seller to show pictures to side step possible problems because of undisclosed defects. If they are pristine then a buyer would have maybe double the money not to mention the hassle in restoring good cores compared to what you are asking. By the same token without confirmation a buyer is taking a big risk IMO. I don't think it a unreasonable request to want to see what you are buying. Of course making the buyer come in person to inspect instead of you taking pictures is up to you. Best of luck on your sale what ever you decide.

Offline 68GT/CSconvmod

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2024, 06:15:11 PM »
What I had before boxing.

Offline 68GT/CSconvmod

Re: Nos 67-68 wheel well moldings(SOLD)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2024, 07:23:37 PM »
SOLD without unwrapping.