Author Topic: 68 Metuchen Steering Column Finishes in Engine Compartment  (Read 907 times)

Offline dkknab

68 Metuchen Steering Column Finishes in Engine Compartment
« on: July 13, 2024, 01:50:37 PM »
I wanted to confirm the finishes of the steering column in the engine compartment. Here's a picture of mine a lot cleaner than before.

The outer column should be interior color. I have some rust on one side but that can be repaired.

What about the inner column and the shaft leading to the flex joint?

Looks like the blue plastic bushing is cracked.  But it is mostly intact which is neat.

Are the screws holding the inner flange supposed to be coated with sound deadener or would the column have been installed after sound deadener to the firewall?

There is also sound deadener it appears on the rubber gasket.  Should that be the case or not?

I have 6 screws around the column opening.  I haven't looked inside yet but the assembly manual only shows 4. Is that not unusual?
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline dkknab

Re: 68 Metuchen Steering Column Finishes in Engine Compartment
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2024, 10:01:45 PM »

Looks like the blue plastic bushing is cracked.  But it is mostly intact which is neat.

I believe that blue insulator is just as mine is.  It's not solid on the outer edge from some pictures I saw at the WCC site.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline dkknab

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2024, 11:08:09 AM »

Are the screws holding the inner flange supposed to be coated with sound deadener or would the column have been installed after sound deadener to the firewall?

There is also sound deadener it appears on the rubber gasket.  Should that be the case or not?

I think my questions have been answered in previous posts.  The steering column seal and screws would have been installed before sealer was sprayed on the firewall to seal this openings and the screws. So not only are the screws to have sealer on them I'm guessing it would not be unusual for the rubber seal to also have some sealer on it.  So I'll just clean that area and touch up the interior paint color on the outer steering column.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2024, 12:52:05 PM »
Rule of them  thumb is typically everything that goes through the firewall is deployed and secured before sound deadener/sealer is sprayed.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 04:36:57 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 03:49:16 PM »
Rule of them is typically everything that goes through the firewall is deployed and secured before sound deadener/sealer is sprayed.
"them" = "thumb"?
And it was done "hastily", so don't be an artist. Remember, Ford was not building concourse grade cars. We might be, but think "assembly line".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2024, 04:35:40 PM »
"them" = "thumb"?
And it was done "hastily", so don't be an artist. Remember, Ford was not building concourse grade cars. We might be, but think "assembly line".
Jim
Yes a typo . Thanks for the catch. It was my turn this time . Last time it was you when I PM'd you about yours. It happens.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2024, 05:47:08 PM »
That bushing is normally white

Its not uncommon to actually see columns that started off as colors other than saddle or black. All colors were used and then resprayed on the interior side. Therefore whats in the engine bay could be a totally different color

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2024, 05:51:18 PM »
Yes a typo . Thanks for the catch. It was my turn this time . Last time it was you when I PM'd you about yours. It happens.
You must remember that a few (smaller than A LOT) of this forum's members are in countries where English is a second language and if they can't understand what were are commenting about, they would get discouraged, cease reading and posting, which would not be good. (This does not apply to Canadians or Australians.)  ;)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2024, 06:08:28 PM »
You must remember that a few (smaller than A LOT) of this forum's members are in countries where English is a second language and if they can't understand what were are commenting about, they would get discouraged, cease reading and posting, which would not be good. (This does not apply to Canadians or Australians.)  ;)
Jim
Jim, I don't have to remember because I am totally aware . I don't need additional chiding by you. A typo is a unintentional mistake and I thanked you for your catch.  I knew you made a unintentional typo when I PM you recently about yours-" Re: Bumper Bracket Assembly? Sent to: jwc66k on: July 04, 2024, 05:21:33 PM ?"Not used after 12-1-54" I am guessing a typo and you meant 12-1-64? " The only difference is I private Messaged you and you choose not to.  Many of us make typo's from time to time .You are in the same boat as A LOT of us.  ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2024, 07:27:44 PM »
Chastising accepted.
Jim

Offline dkknab

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2024, 08:42:20 PM »
I hope you guys got that out of your system.  The bushing is light blue,  not white.  See the picture. And to boot, there are 6 screws attaching the flange to the firewall.  All the screws are similar in finish so it appears they're original.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 08:45:58 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline dkknab

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2024, 09:00:00 PM »
And I need a new accelerator pedal. My old one was cracked and I needed to remove it because the bolt was rusted frozen.  Which one on NPD do you recommend?
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2024, 02:59:06 PM »
I think my questions have been answered in previous posts.  The steering column seal and screws would have been installed before sealer was sprayed on the firewall to seal this openings and the screws. So not only are the screws to have sealer on them I'm guessing it would not be unusual for the rubber seal to also have some sealer on it. So I'll just clean that area and touch up the interior paint color on the outer steering column.

Yes if the the area was in the spray pattern the worker applied on that particular car. Basically it should look like part of the single pass in that area of the spray applicator.

Though Ford wanted ever opening/attachment point (except for the ground strap end and screw) its not unusual for one to get missed or another section to get more product. Often there is not much product applied to the throttle linkage on the firewall sure there may have been some concern about how a heavy coat of sealer would affect its operational performance

Also a quick look at the lower bushing I found both light blue and white ones. May be connected to production period and supply at what ever plant assembled the steering columns as a sub assembly

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)