Author Topic: radiator judging  (Read 852 times)

Offline bdietz

• 1971 429 SCJ
radiator judging
« on: July 01, 2024, 09:32:57 PM »
I need to get my original 1970 B2  radiator re-cored.  the shop says they can do it original 5/8" tubes spaced 9/16 or they can space them 7/16 which would add a few more tubes, thus increasing the cooling by 15-20%.  I do drive the car occasionally and I would like to have the increased cooling.  My questing is do the judges count the radiator cores? Do they deduct points if it had more cores?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: radiator judging
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2024, 10:57:02 PM »
I need to get my original 1970 B2  radiator re-cored.  the shop says they can do it original 5/8" tubes spaced 9/16 or they can space them 7/16 which would add a few more tubes, thus increasing the cooling by 15-20%.  I do drive the car occasionally and I would like to have the increased cooling.  My questing is do the judges count the radiator cores? Do they deduct points if it had more cores?
It is up to you to take the chance. When judging given the limited time a detail like the tube spacing is easily overlooked. Something like a 4 core instead of 2 or 3 stands out more . I can say I rarely look at the spacing of tubes but if it is a good car with most everything done correctly a detail like that may look more conspicuously out of place. If I was judging and caught something like that it could be a note or small deduction. But that is just me. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Online specialed

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2024, 09:07:09 AM »
The close 7/16'' spacing is a dead giveaway and obviously changes the look of the radiator  pattern and is highly visable. I have had to correct and re-restore many radiators that came in the shop over the years. I have redone 4 radiators already this year and have 20 or so parts radiators in inventory and assemble radiators according to the car its going in to make concours correct.  Besides the 2 differnt radiator  top tank changes their are 3 different side strap designs between 67 and 70 and 2 different automatic lower transmission line cooling  tube spacings . Also different petcock drain changes from lh to rh side bottom tank locations.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2024, 09:18:37 AM by specialed »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2024, 01:00:08 PM »
It's like any detail on these cars. So judges will check some details closer that others but always be on guard to anything that can catch an eye since often things that are discover because they just don't look right become notes or deductions once a judge take notice and then spends a bit more time inspecting the detail. Of course in this situation if the car has AC and a full shroud its more difficult to see some of these details one installed. As mentioned you take your chances when things are not 100%

Also at the top end of the spectrum almost all deductions are small ones but they add up quickly to move the car and the award downwards
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)