Author Topic: Identifying NOS quarter panels - 65/66  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Burgundy66

Identifying NOS quarter panels - 65/66
« on: June 22, 2024, 12:14:07 AM »
I apologize if this has been covered 1000 times already, the search button wasn?t getting me answers. Might be a user thing. 😁

I am going to look at some supposed NOS 65/66 coupe quarter panels. These are black ones, unknown when produced, and only one sticker on one part that I?m not sure is original, or has been reproduced. My question is: Are there some detailed telltales that can differentiate Ford service parts from the latest ?best? repops?  I have some familiarity with 90s/early 2000s repops, and can spot those a mile away. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
Re: Identifying NOS quarter panels - 65/66
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2024, 01:03:23 PM »
Ford parts, original or service parts, will have a date stamp in the metal. For fenders, it is on the inner lip near the bolt holes, for quarters, it would be in the channel where the weather-stripping would fall into.

I cant get to my NOS quarters to take a pic but here is an example from a fender that I have handy

1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2024, 05:27:28 PM »
Ford parts, original or service parts, will have a date stamp in the metal. For fenders, it is on the inner lip near the bolt holes, for quarters, it would be in the channel where the weather-stripping would fall into.

Not all later NOS/service replacements used the same markings or date patterns as the original parts.

Here are examples of service replacements. It was very typical for most restorers outside of the dry states to almost automatically replace front fenders during the 80-90's when they restored their cars. Cheaper, I was told, that paying the body guy to repair originals.

Has been shared once or twice before in other threads and discussions

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Burgundy66

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2024, 01:16:07 PM »
Thanks guys for the responses.  All understood on the date coding. Also interested to hear any insights of maybe a crisper edge here, or a radius there, a different way certain holes might be punched, etc. down into the minutia. And I realize that as the tools wore over time things changed.

Turns out the black parts sold before I could get there (4hrs away).  So now, I am back on the hunt. Might?ve just located a pair of red oxide ones, though. We?ll see how that goes.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2024, 04:34:43 PM »
Years back, in a Mustang magazine, I remember reading about what happened to the stamping dies used by Ford to make sheet metal parts, fenders, hoods, body parts, etc. (A side note: It takes several different dies, a dozen perhaps, both male and female, to form the bends needed in a fender.) At the end of a production years' run, most were sold as "scrap" - aka worn out. The good ones went to companies that contracted to make service parts. For some reason of other, Canadian stamping companies comes to mind. After the dies wore out again, they went overseas, like possibly to India, Indonesia or Taiwan. Somehow, these dies were "repaired" (welded?) and continued to make parts that were not quite acceptable to Ford, but "sell-able" - to you and me. The date codes were a step, using a removable stamp/die set.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.