Author Topic: How do I determine the correct color for the slip yoke on my driveshaft?  (Read 866 times)

Offline DaveF

I?m in the process of restoring my driveshaft. Luckily, I had a little original paint on the driveshaft. The blue-red-white stripes match my build sheet. There is some left over orange paint on the yokes on both ends. My question is about what color the slip yoke should be? Thanks!
1970 Mustang Mach One
428 SCJ w/Drag Pak 3.91
Metuchen plant
Built 9/5/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Well you start with the details - yoke color markings were not listed on the buildsheets since they were already attached to the driveline by the time they reached the assembly line and the larger and multiple color markings on the drivelines were used to identify the subassembly.

See you have a 9/6/68 SCJ NJ built Mach. Just confirming - was it a 4 speed?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DaveF

Thanks Jeff, my car was built on Sept 5 1969. Like I may have mentioned earlier, there is orange paint residue inside the yokes on both ends of the driveshaft. The car has a 4 speed transmission. I appreciate your help.
1970 Mustang Mach One
428 SCJ w/Drag Pak 3.91
Metuchen plant
Built 9/5/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Could not find any trustworthy IMHO examples from direct sources and of course its always the safe path to leave these markings off until you feel confident as they can always (a little more difficult) be added later.

Need to identify the transmission yoke that was used then cross reference it with possible other applications that used the same and see if I have any good examples from those sources.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DaveF

Sounds good. I think that I will go ahead and restore the orange driveshaft yokes and leave the transmission yoke alone until I can find more information. Thanks!
1970 Mustang Mach One
428 SCJ w/Drag Pak 3.91
Metuchen plant
Built 9/5/1969